PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we compete with next years opponents?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can we compete with next years opponents?

Postby SmuCommitt » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:38 pm

What are your thoughts?
SmuCommitt
Recruit

Re: Can we compete with next years opponents?

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:18 am

Yes, we will be allowed to compete next year. Image
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmuCommitt:
<B>What are your thoughts?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's going to be tough. I think Phil should have lightened the load this year ,but if we get six wins I'll be happy.

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:44 pm

I'd like to think so, but that will depend on so many things...1st, we have some huge holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball. We lose Lute Croy and Vic Viloria in the middle of the defense. Can we find a nose tackle and will D.D.Lee step up as our MLB? Will "Happy" Gilmore return to form and replace K.G. at the corner, or will someone else step up in the secondary?

On offense, who will replace Judson Davis at the LT spot? I like the fact that we have 4 starters back on the OL, but we have to replace Davis and Hampton to ensure a stron running game. That will be the key to whether we can compete with everyone on the schedule next year. Our QBs will return with more experience, but we will still need to rely on a strong running game (that's what kept us in the game with TTech last year).

The key will be to play tough at TTech to open the season. After that, I like the fact that our tougher games will be at Ford, where if we can get some fan support, we should be competitive.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:30 pm

We just need to fill the holes with talent. I'm sick of people telling me that a LB has to be 6' and 230 lbs to be effective. It's bull****...there are so many smaller, talented players that can play harder and tougher than some of the big guys. Bennett knows this...Cavan...well...Cavan has a desk job now.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:13 pm

I think we can compete, and that we definitely will win more than last year. But I think we're in danger of getting too excited too early about this recruiting class. It's hard not to - they sound amazing. But they're young, they're still growing and they need time to understand what Coach Bennett wants from them. The 2003 season is one in which we'll start to see the first real contributions from LAST year's class. So I'll say that while we will improve (I say 4 or 5 wins - 6 would be a major upgrade), we're probably a year or two away from really reaping the benefits of Coach Bennett's recruiting and coaching prowess.

But oh, the glare of the future sure is bright!!!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:47 pm

It has otherwise been pointed out that there are, I think nine, rising seniors plus Cunningham, and that Bennett did not give subs a lot of playing time. SMU certainly needs to find some defensive linemen and also at least one TE and one OT, but at some point a capable two deep is needed. I think that point is at least a year away. As things stand even one or two OL line injuries would really hurt.

I'm hard put to see a much better 2003 season although I hope for the best. Six wins WOULD be great, but who will be the new impact players, redshirts, greenshirts, true freshmen or otherwise, who will help double the wins?
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football