PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Other Board

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Other Board

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:17 pm

Anyone else having trouble getting on Mustang Maniacs?
No Quarter
Heisman

Re: The Other Board

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:25 pm

I hope it's not gone. I haven't decided who the greatest living SMU football legend is yet.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:30 pm

Well, I agree with the comment, long ago, that it was a pretty meaningless poll without Berry being a candidate.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:29 pm

If they'll keep that poll going 6 more months maybe they'll reach their goal of 300 votes. I cast my vote for Bill Clements.
Bergermeister

Postby smudad » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:12 pm

That board has/had the same problem as SMU sports in general. If it weren't for the casual drop-in's and passersby, you'd have to measure the interest with a magnifying glass. I've followed - and posted on - the TexAgs board for a long time. It requires registration as well. The action is incredibly heavy, can be very acid at times and is generally very informed - particularly when compared with a lot of the crap previously posted on the other board.I just can't agree that registration is that inhibiting. Don't know what killed it. But it seems to have died and just hasn't been buried.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:28 pm

My personal opinion is that the webmasters over there had lost their desire. Maybe I'm wrong but that thing went down hard. Good luck to Ted and Cody. They are great guys and great SMU fans.
Nacho

Postby PonyTales » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:39 pm

Cody bailed out of that thing ages ago, and I think it's gone downhill ever since. He's a very good writer and a very knowledgeable fan.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:52 pm

Cody probably had as much influence as anyone in getting the recruiting restrictions changed. He is one of the unsung heroes of the current SMU recruiting resurgence.
Nacho

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:00 pm

SMUDAD -

You've said it very well.

Too few SMU fans. At one point during the eighties the SMU thinking was that they could be the next Southern Cal, a private that would fill the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium. Well, they tried. Today there are two small boards, or one, and down from three small when Rivals (?) bailed.

I've never visited the Aggie board you mention, but the situation is much the same on the OU board I sometimes read. Registration. Many, many fans.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby MustangMom » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:54 am

Well, I have always liked this board - better posts and more positive. It just may have taken some of you longer to get to Ponyfans.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:26 pm

You can't expect SMU with 5,000 undergrads to get the traffic of the bigger school sites - When we win just a little it will be intersting to see how much more attention and attendence we get - probably similar to the TCU site once we get rolling. You would not expect much more then die-hards when we haven't put a winner on the field in 15 years - can't wait for that to change and there is reason ot be confident it will - everyone needs to relax about next year though - this class is not going to pay off that fast.
gostangs

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:10 pm

I think Mustang Maniacs shut down because they were too embarrased to be associated with that stupid red thing that runs around at the football games!

Postby deke » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangMom:
<B>Well, I have always liked this board - better posts and more positive. It just may have taken some of you longer to get to Ponyfans.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said it. I was just told about you guys the other day. Welcome to my Favorites folder. Image
deke

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:06 pm

I was talking to one of the Webmasters the other night, and I understand they're going to start doing a bunch of stuff to make this site great... In order to make sure everyone who is stopping by for a visit these days remains and becomes a ponyfan for life.

Expect more in-depth coverage, more interviews, more ponyfans events, more stuff for students.

They're really commited to making this a first class fans site, and the #1 resource for SMU sports information. I was VERY impressed.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:35 pm

This ALWAYS has been the #1 site for SMU information and supportive, constructive discussion. But I'm looking forward to even more!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football