PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Replacing Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Replacing Baylor

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:17 pm

Interestin post on the WAC board about BYU replacing Baylor in the Big 12. Check it out. Intersting things may happen in the future.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Replacing Baylor

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:03 pm

I wish they would make that Conference they were talking about??? I forgot what it was called but have SMU,TCU,Houston,Baylor,Rice, and UTEP we should really get that conference!

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:10 pm

I'm with you 35 but don't hold your breath too long. We desperately need to be in a regional conference. Going from La Tech to Hawaii is for the birds.

You are a young guy. It will probably happen in your lifetime.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:37 pm

BYU for Baylor would be a definite upgrade for the Big XII, but don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. That would potentially alter the north/south alignment and might not sit too well with UT and A$M, who do have some clout in that conference. I think that's the biggest problem the Big XII has, i.e., dealing with the "power" the Texas schools have brought to conference politics. I suspect the northern tier schools wish they could return to the good old days of the Big 8. But, as SMU fans know all too well...you can never go back. Things could get very interesting in the next overhaul of conference alignments after the current BCS contracts expire.
Charleston Pony

Postby True Colors » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:08 pm

No chance that BYU will ever supplant Baylor in any conference.

Baylor is far ahead of BYU in all sports not named football or basketball.

BYU is not so hot in football these days, and is probably about even with Baylor in basketball.

The big 12 has an awesome thing going right now. You're kidding yourself if you think that people are wanting to tinker with it.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby TCU_backer » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:11 pm

Baylor needs to realize they need to move aside. They will never become competitive all around in the Big-12.

Colorado has already reported interest in moving to the new PAC 12, and Missouri has said they want to leave the Big 12 too.

I would not be surprised to see the old Big 8 regroup with some new changes, and a new conference including UT and A&M with some other teams. I also believe the BCS is over after their contract runs out.

I agree with 35, a new Conference of the South, which should include: UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and possibly LSU. Thoughts?
TCU_backer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:48 pm

SMU being in that Conference!?!?!?!?! Heck No! SMU would be just like Baylor! We Have To get much better before we go into a conference like that! and we are getting better by the second! I still think it should be SMU,Houston,TCU, Rice, Baylor, and UTEP! that would mean we could travel more and not go all the way out to Hawaii or to California because I never get to go to those games because of school and all! It would give us a lot more easier places to go!

But this weekend I went to the Stars game with my best friend ,which we won 6-3 yay!, But when we were on our way back to Longview we started talkin about College Football and all and they are huge Longhorns! Well they start getting on SMU!!! they always do that! Im sick of hearing it! We need to get better!

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:50 pm

True Colors, you make the point that Baylor is ahead of BYU in all sports other than football and basketball - but aren't those the sports that steer conference alignments? That's where the money lies, and money governs all such decisions.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:16 pm

The chance of the Big 12 imploding is in my view extremely unlikely. If it does then I think you might very well see a new SWC with the likes of UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Rice, and maybe adding a mixture of the following teams to reach 12, OU, OSU, Ark., UH, Tulane or Tulsa. If you added Tulane and Tulsa among that mix you could have a private school division and a public school division with a championship game at the end. That way, Baylor, SMU, Rice, TCU, and Tulane get a shot at a championship game every year. TV money would come due to demographics of Dallas, Houston, N.O, and OK City. Each year there would be 8 conference games with 5 division games and three conference games. That way UT, OU, A&M, TT and OSU would get to the Metroplex at least every other year. The only downside would be that UT and A&M might insist that SMU play them in the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:37 pm

I believe that Baylor will stay in the
Big 12 as long as they want, if they meet the NCAA requirements for Division I-A. From a competion standpoint every BCS has a school or two that is a week sister in one or more sports. I suspect that any attempt to get rid of them would be a legal disaster. Moreover, there is a limit how far the NCAA can go with rule changes lest the service academies call on Congress for help.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:51 am

I agree. There is no current incentive for Baylor to leave.

Regarding the comment on Baylor's all around sports prowess, BYU was always at the top of the WAC while we were with them, in terms of overall sports.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby TCU_backer » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:14 pm

The only incentive for Baylor to leave is if they actually want to make a committment to their football program. The only way they win is if the other team does not show up or is having an extremely down season.

If you have been following any of Guy Morriss' statements, he takes every chance to down TCU (alma mater) and SMU, saying they are the true mid majors. What he doesn't realize is that he can't change Baylor over night, and in the next couple of years.

How do you sell a recruit to come to Baylor for football? Not Waco, and the oppressive Baptist system.

TCU and SMU are doing the things that count now, even though we are still behind some of the bigger schoolws by more than 5 years.

Surprised or not, their will be a shakeup in ALL conferences in 2005.
TCU_backer

Return to Football