PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting RB Next Season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Starting RB Next Season

Postby Smuboy » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 50's PONY:
<B>Excuse me but what happened to Matt Young? The coaches were raving about him all year on the scout team!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It has been attributed to both coaches and current players that Matt Young stood out among the freshman class and is expected to see action next fall. No one is suggesting that he will replace the two veterans but Coach Bennett called him one of the best all around football players in the class and the thought is that he will make future contribution on Saturdays. If Massey shows up then the equation changes for everyone.
Smuboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:33 am

If it's true that Young turns out to be a guy who competes for playing time in his RS Frosh year, I assume he would be rewarded with a scholarship next year. If Massey does honor his commitment and sign with the Ponies, we will really be deep with RBs and I would think it will be very difficult for Young to crack the rotation. If he does, against the competition we should have at RB, the question would become: how did he go overlooked in recruiting last year? I assume he doesn't have the speed that the most highly rated RBs have??
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smuboy » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:10 am

In response to the question about Matt Young's speed, he is not a burner (4.43) but is very quick in pads and seems to see the field well. As to being overlooked, to some extent he was, but he had scholoarship offers to BYU, Air Force and (I think) La. Tech, plus invited walk-on spots at Oklahoma, A&M and Alabama. More importantly, he did well in Bennett's system this fall. But only time will tell.
Smuboy

Postby No Quarter » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:31 am

Go the FB roster on SMUstangs.com. Click on players names and you generally get a bio, at least for scholarship players and some walk-ons. There is no bio for Matt Young.

Does that indicate anything about the coaches interest or lack thereof?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:38 pm

It indicates that the smumustangs.com webmaster needs a boot in the shorts.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football