PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National Championship!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

National Championship!

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:07 am

What a Game this has been!!! Miami almost winnin the game in OT but didnt because of a bad call!! what a game! for anybody who isnt watching it its Miami-24 Ohio State-24 with Ohio State on the 5 yard line in the 2nd OT
I've said the whole game that SMU should be there LoL but oo well TOUCHDOWN OHIO STATE!!!!!!! 30-24! Ill wait and post this after the extra point but until then like 3/4th of the staduim is Ohio State fans! well they made the kick 31-24 and its Miami Ball! who hasnt lost in 34 or 39 games!

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: National Championship!

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:06 am

Hey I've got a question you might be able to answer for me. Anyway, I'm reading "The Undefeated" by Jim Dent, an author and SMU alum, and in the book he talks about one of the Oklahoma Sooners Coaches, Bud Wilkinson, being from Minnesota. He goes on to say that the Golden Gophers won the National Title in '34,'35, and '36. It occurred to me that our National Title is said to have been won in 1935. Can you clear this up for me? This is such a big deal to me because I haven't been alive when SMU was good and I'm starting to wonder if we were ever good. Also, if you know of any films that capture our football team in the glory days let me know so I can find them and see them. I am not losing my spirit but maybe I'm losing my patience. I want to see us on TV during football season every Saturday after I graduate...will that ever be possible again???

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:06 am

I have no idea man?! I've always thought that we won in 35! atleast thats what my Grandfather said when he went there. As you probley know I was born right when they freakin thing happened with SMU .::88::. so I didnt get to see us good either! how old are you harvardred&yaleblue? oo by the way! this isnt just for harvardred&yaleblue...
but I was lookin at the records and in 97 I know most of you know that we had our first winning season since the Death Penalty as we went 6-5 but I was wondering why we didnt go to a bowl game then? we got 3rd place in the conference! I think we should've gone to one so please someone tell me why we didnt go! and What does it take to get to a Bowl?!

------------------
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

[This message has been edited by Mustangs35SMU (edited 01-05-2003).]
Mustangs35SMU

Postby htownmustang » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:40 am

At the time their (before 1936)were two systems or polls for determining the National champion. One was the Helms Athletic Foundation and the other was The Dickinson System. Under the HAF Minnesota was the National Champ. Under the Dickinson system SMU was declared the National Champ. At the time these two systems were the most reputable organizations that determined which teams were the national champs. Anyway Grantland Rice declared SMU as the National Champ after SMU defeated TCU in "The Game of The Century" And at that time Grantland Rice was like some sort of Keith Jackson or Beano Cook. His opinion was taken seriously from what I understand.
htownmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:04 pm

As for the question why SMU didn't go to a bowl with a 6-5 record, the Independence Bowl was considering SMU but it came down to our needing to win that last game against TCU and go 7-4 to have serious consideration. The bowls had more flexibility then, without being contractualy bound to certain conferences and the Independence Bowl was one that had that flexibility...but they were concerned about SMU's reputation for not "taveling" well, i.e., not selling many tickets and bringing many fans. That's been our problem with the bowls and will continue to be until we can show them that we can pack Ford Stadium on Saturdays and develop a following that will make road trips to support this team.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:29 pm

so basically one of the reasons we didnt go to a bowl in 97 was because of our fans?! thats bull! I've only been to 2 away games and that one of those was againist Rice that was lose! and another was againist TCU which we lost! so I hope me going to the Baylor game and the Louisana Tech game this season doesnt end up in being a Lost! again! who else is going to the Baylor game?

------------------
Mustangs35SMU

Return to Football