PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New NCAA Rule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New NCAA Rule

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:54 pm

I was reading the SMU Daily Campus and I dont know when this happened or if anybody else has heard this but the NCAA made a rule on Decemember 9th that if you dont have 15,000 people at the games!! they have already said 10 schools that are already not meeting the requirments however u spell it and thank god SMU wasnt one of them but San Jose State was! if you wanna read the article go to <A HREF="http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/12/09/3df3f06f69229" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/12/09/3df3f06f69229</A>

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: New NCAA Rule

Postby Dement-ed » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:28 pm

Isn't that why we're making sure to have teams like Tech and Baylor and TCU on the schedule - to get enough bodies in the seats until Coach Bennett has us winning enough to pack them in on our own?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:59 pm

Hold up 35, we meet that requirement Image SJSU is going to be 1-AA if it doesn't get it's act together, though. It's shameful that they still beat us, at home this year. Hmm...well, I am putting all my faith in Bennett. Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:22 am

I haven't read the rule in it's final version, but originally there was talk of "conference" exemptions, where schools like San Jose would be O.K. if more than half their conference mates were meeting the standard. Obviously, Fresno, Hawaii & UTEP and even Boise St have no problem meeting the 15k average attendance. The rest of us are shaky, but you're right...as long as SMU can continue games with TTech, Baylor, Okie St, etc...we will have no problem offsetting the WAC games and averaging 15,000.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:03 pm

How snakebitten would Tyson Thompson feel, if after getting rejected by TCU, he goes JUCO, signs with San Jose State, and then they go D-IAA?
That's what he gets for signing with TCU in the first place.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby TCU_backer » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:15 pm

HAHA...

SMU will be fine attendance wise, as you are building the foundation for great football in the next few years.

As far as Tyson Thompson goes, what does that say if he gets rejected by TCU... not a lot, but if it were by a lower performing school, it could be devastating.
TCU_backer

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:27 pm

Looks like our friends at UNT are shakey on that attendance rule. Even after two "bowl seasons."
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Return to Football