PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Look for the Mustangs!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Look for the Mustangs!

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:14 pm

Great move by Coach Bennett with the football uniform change! Don't think we've ever had blue helmets, but we've had red with Matty Bell and Hayden Fry and silver with Dave Smith (minus the Red Mustang, what was that about?). Back to white with Ron Meyer, Bobby Collin$, and Forrest Gregg (idiotic blue horse on that comeback helmet... ugh!) Rossley maintained the status quo. Cavan tried the NY Jets jerseys that just didn't fit in. I see a kind of Ol' Miss look with the brief description in the paper. Trust Phil to do it right. He won't let us down with something sappy. Th' guy's got class and it continues to show every day!!! Good move!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: New Look for the Mustangs!

Postby Horseshoe » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:35 pm

Sounds like a bit of a NYGiants flavor. Might look pretty sharp! Looking forward to seeing it.
Think they'll trot those out for Spring Ball? Or save the debut for the season?
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:46 pm

so we got new uniforms?!?! sweet!! What do they look like?

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:15 pm

I hope that the blue will continue to be of the dodger or royal blue variety and not navy blue. As long as the helmet has a mustang on it, I'm happy. Hopefully, the red Mustang will show up on the blue background. If I recall my color spectrums, they are right next to each other. I recall the first game under Dave Smith. Our team ran out on the field and nobody cheered because we didn't know it was us, until Peruna was played.
Red pants with a blue helmet would not be too bad for road uniforms, after all our colors are red and blue. I like having a different color than red on the helmet. It was always tough to distinguish the Mustang from the Hog on the old ones.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:28 pm

The red mustang on the helmet will have a thin white outline to make it stand out on the navy helmet. It'll be a while before we see the home uniform since we open with two on the road and an open date.
Bergermeister

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:31 pm

ugh!! Dont Talk About The Hogs I remember in 99 at the Cotton Bowl ARKANSAS! then the other side RAZORBACKS! uck! and I was only 10 then! or wait I was 9 when the season started! and that game I was 9! uck! hated it!I could still hear the echos in that staduim of SMU's Band playing the fight song when I went to the Game on January First! Brought back lots of memories

always where did yall read that we were gettin new uniforms in the Dallas Paper? if so what day was it in it?

------------------
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

[This message has been edited by Mustangs35SMU (edited 01-15-2003).]
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:46 pm

nevermind I just read it in the Dallas Morning News :-D I was making a preview for the Stars game this Saturday and I was reading the leaders board sand I looked over and there it was!! Go Mustangs!

------------------
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:06 pm

What in the world are we doing going to navy blue helments. Do you realize how hot the players heads are going to be?

Half the team will faint during the first half of the first home game.

We're going to look hornible. Bring back the lighter blue uniforms from the 1980s. And by the way - get rid of the SMU on the front. This isn't a high school!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:11 pm

If we're going to have a blue helmet, then we need to get blue pants. Teams look and perform much better if there helments match there pants.

Postby PonyPower » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:19 pm

I disagree with PerunaPete - got to keep SMU on the front of the unis.
Texas is written across the front of the longhorns' gear, and despite the fact that the color looks like last night's dinner after 12 drinks, the style of the uniform is classic.
Keep the SMU.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:02 pm

I can only imagine bewilderment of the crowd when we came on the field with the silver hlemets.

It was probably like the reaction in the 2002 opener against Navy when the crowd was distracted by us trying to burn our stadium down when the team ran onto the field.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:28 pm

What was even worse was that we were playing New Mexico State who had red and silver colors, too. Smith liked Ohio State's uniforms and wanted that look.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Jim Rome » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:37 pm

New uniforms are fine, and might look cool.
But let's not "go Kournikova" and put appearances ahead of winning or the work necessary to win.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:13 pm

Pete, me and you are on the same page. I do not like this change. I love the uniforms the way they are now but would not mind if the lighter blue was brought back for the jersey.

Postby PonyPower » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:16 pm

I like the change - we were a little too close to Arizona East with the look we had for the last few years.

Love the "going Kournikova" reference, JR!
PonyPower
All-American

Next

Return to Football