PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Helment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Helment

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:21 pm

OK, so the horse is going to be outlined with a white stripe, but how about the most important helment detail. Will there be a stipe down the middle???? If so, what color?

I think the hat will look real stupid if it doesn't have a stripe.

The tricked up Gen X uniforms are really getting old. What ever happened to the white helmet with a logo and a stripe, the tasteful jerseys with non-tricked-up numbers, and nice white pants with a stripe on the side.

Dark on white at home with a white helmet and white on white on the road with a white helmet - the way a football uniform is supposed to be.

No wonder we never win. The games are over when the kids see the crap they have to wear on the field when they get to there locker.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: New Helment

Postby ponyte » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:33 pm

I remember the red helmets with the white horse, blue jerseys and grey pants of the 60s teams. I thought that was a class uniform. I agree with the more modern white helmets and pants. I long for the pony express look. The new blue is OK but not great to me.

Time will tell on this new uniform. My guess is if we win, we will have consistant uniforms. Like an Ohio State or Penn State or Michigan.

Even ND has changed their uniforms from time to time.
ponyte

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:33 pm

Boy, you sound a little jaded.
But it's good to have you back on the board!
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby PK » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:58 pm

Assuming the gray pants are more like a silver and the blue is our current dark blue, the new unis will probably resemble the Patriots unis which are pretty good.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:04 pm

Yeah, but the Patriots sure looked a lot better with the red jersey, white helment and white pants.

You know, why did the Patriots originally wear red jerseys? The British wore the red...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:05 pm

Speaking of Notre Dame, we really should break out red jerseys for special games more often.

Nothing gets the crowd more fired up!!!!!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PK » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:21 pm

Red jerseys would be fine with me as long as they were crimson and not that god aweful orangy red Cavan used....but actually I'm partial to the "navy" blue we are using now.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:24 pm

I always preferred the dodger or royal blue.
Navy blue reminds me of the Cowgirls.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:47 pm

Dodger, Navy, etc.

We had our very own blue back in the 80s! No other college or professional team had the same shade of blue. Why do we have to copy colors from other teams?

We also need to bring back socks! College teams look so much sharper when they wear socks like the NFL teams do. Of course, if we get socks I hope they have horizontal stripes and no vertical stripes...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PK » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanFreibergerForHeisman:
<B>We had our very own blue back in the 80s! No other college or professional team had the same shade of blue. Why do we have to copy colors from other teams?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The official school colors for SMU are Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue. These have always been our school colors. Unfortunately, Yale Blue no longer exists in the available clothing dyes and navy blue is the closest match to that color. Therefore... we are not copying any other team's colors!!!
PK

Postby The Q » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:35 pm

Personally, I liked the royal blue that preceded the navy blues we now have. Kind of like the Patriots in between their old look and their current look.
The Q
Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:37 pm

While they're at it, can we get new uniforms for the band?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:25 pm

New uniforms would probably be in order. HOwever, the biggest issue I have is that our band looks pathetic b/c of its size. I recognize the obvious difficulties; but, is there any solution that would at least have us with a band with 100 members. To me, our band (particularly its size) is an utter embarrassment. We don't even look like a Class 3A junior high.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangBandsman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:42 pm

The band got all new uniforms 3 years ago, unless you mean that we should get different band uniforms. The uniforms are unique and classy, not cheesy. Would you prefer the band dressed like Napoleonic soldiers like every high school band in the DFW area? As far as size of the band goes, if you think the band is too small, donate some money to the Diamond M Club or write a letter to Turner telling him the situation. The band has the deck stacked against it when it comes to recruiting. Meadows doesn't like the band and discourages music majors from joining, so that cuts out the obvious recruitment pool. The band can offer small scholarships, but they hardly put a dent in the overall SMU tuition so it's hard to try and recruit kids to come to SMU. So what is left is students that can afford SMU, aren't music majors, but still want to continue marching band in front of 15000 fans and a losing team. It is hard to find these students, trust me. Besides, the typical SMU students aren't the type that would "perform" for others.
MustangBandsman

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:25 pm

Understood, just that it would be nice to go to games with my A&M or TU friends (or even my UNT girlfriend) and not have to hear the "Mr. Peppermint" or "popcorn-seller" jokes. :]
StangEsq
Heisman

Next

Return to Football