PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Helment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Helment

Postby MustangBandsman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:30 pm

We wore the candystripe jackets maybe twice the whole year out of 18 uniform changes, so we do try to change things up a lot. Next time your friends start mouthing off, just point out the eyesore "brown brigade" A&M corps (haven't they heard of COLOR), or make jokes about the "hoe-down" texas band with their white fringe all over those ugly [deleted] orange unis. Image
MustangBandsman

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:38 pm

Like I said, I understand the obvious obstacles on band size, funding, etc. However, other schools, like Vanderbilt, TCU, Notre Dame, Miami, etc, have much larger bands. I would clearly like to see this issue addressed. I certainly don't mean to suggest that the "quality" of our band is anything less than stellar. My point is that, merely by its size alone, the band doesn't look like a Division 1 band. I would like to learn more about the issue with Meadows and your comment about Dr. Turner. I'm a supporter of the uniqueness of our band; I just want it to have more members. Also, I would think this would be an issue with Bennett since he is obviously very keen on all the details of marketing SMU.

I couldn't help but think of this during this season's bowl games when the TV would show the team's band in the stands. I was imagining what our band would look like on TV.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangBandsman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:17 pm

Cowboypony, valid statements about size. I believe all the schools you listed require that their music majors sign up for marching band at least for a season or two. Also, Miami has a top music program and football program which couldn't hurt. As a side note, the Miami marching band pretty much fell apart within the last 5 years and was about to go under, but last year or the year before they hired a new director and he turned things around. They have size but they still aren't great.
In the 50's the Mustang band seperated from the music department at SMU and is now under rec sports under the athletic dept. I guess this was because Dreibrodt didn't want Meadows meddling with the band. As things are now, Meadows doesn't like it's students joining the band because they reason that 6 hours a week spent in the Mustang Band could have been 6 hours a week of hardcore classical practice and training instead. Also, about my Turner comment. I meant that he would probably have a say in the band getting more money, so if outside people hinted at this, it might happen sooner.
I believe 3 or 4 years ago, the band hired a consultant to compile a report to give to SMU. I have read it and some of the details stated that the facilities for the band were 1/4 the standard size for a band of 70 people. Could you imagine a 100+ person band in that dungeon under the natatorium? Maybe SMU could somehow make a "commitment" to the band as well.
MustangBandsman

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:26 pm

Thanks for the comments. Please understand that I'm all for the band and find your response both interesting and frustrating. I truly believe that a winning and financially successful football programs goes a long ways toward the cure. However, I think there appears to be some internal issues at SMU which, if resolved, could substantially increase the size of the band. I think the band is clearly symbolic of the our school and, right now, I'm not real proud of where we are right now.

I truly don't know why we (SMU) can't focus more attention on this issue. I'v been wondering about this for many years. I would appreciate any additional input, thoughts, or solutions.

Thanks.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:42 pm

we do need a bigger band I agree with everything yall are sayin on that!

I was also wondering, I remember back when we were at the Cotton Bowl I remember fans coming onto the feild for the football players to run out like the band does now why dont we do that anymore?

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:45 pm

So now that we are getting new helmets, is there any word on when the SMU bookstore will get the mini-helmets in stock?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>I'm partial to the "navy" blue we are using now.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very partial to the uniforms we have now maybe because I've only been a fan for about 3 years and I've never seen another one. I really love our uniforms now and I'm a little disappointed to hear that they are going to change. There is a CFL team called the Stampeders or something that has our old red helmets with a white pony...as long as we don't look like them I think I'll be ok..I'm also somewhat of a Patriots fan but I was a big fan of Bledsoe and now that he's gone I'm not so much of a Pats fan.

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

I truly don't know why we (SMU) can't focus more attention on this issue. I'v been wondering about this for many years. I would appreciate any additional input, thoughts, or solutions.

Thanks.

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main problem is money. If meadows doesn't want their musicians to play for us, that is fine, as long as we have the funds to bring in our own people. It is my understanding that before the death penalty the band had the money to offer REAL scholarships, i.e. enough money to bring someone to SMU who wouldn't have come with out it. Right now, I have a relativly large scholarship in the band, and it is nothing more than a "thank you." I could make more working a 8/hr job just during the time I spend in band during football.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby cowboypony » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:16 pm

I guess it goes to show that winning will pretty much cure all. Let's hope Bennett continues with his recruiting and then, ultimately, produces championship caliber teams. Along the way, I would like to see this band issue addressed. The band truly is representative of SMU and I'd like it to be top notch in every facet - quality and quantity.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:31 pm

At least in time for George W's next inauguration. I blinked at the parade and they were gone!
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:25 pm

Oh please let's stop [deleted] about the uniform change. I'm sure we'll all be plenty satisfied. The Navy Blue is closest to our school colors...stop whining about how you liked the royal blue, or whatever shade you prefer. If you don't like our school colors, then keep it to yourself. It's like a Longhorn fan complaining about burnt orange. Those have always been their colors and Crimston Red and Yale Blue have always been ours. True about the dye no longer being made..and Navy is awfully darn close if I may say so.

About the ignorant, albeit sarcastic comment someone made about the players not wanting to play because of our uniforms...well you just don't know what you're talking about. A uniform is a uniform...and the guys were all thrilled when they got to wear the blue pants last season. Bennett knows what he's doing. He is the one in control of this program.

If the uniforms look anything like the Pats or Ole Miss unis, then that's awesome. If they look terrible, well, we're still going to support our Mustangs. At any rate, I'm sure we'll all get over it.

Now...has anyone recieved word on when these new unis will be shown off?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:43 pm

any more word on the new uniforms???
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Juice » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:19 pm

Back to the band thing...

I don't think we need a bigger band, we need the band to get a little attitude, much like the Mob. They are hilarious and the students love them all. Crack some jokes at the visiting teams expense and see what happens.
Juice
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:58 am

When Mr. Rohr was the band director and it was '99 Guys and a Doll' and THE BEST DRESSED BAND IN THE LAND!, the SMU Band was AWESOME!

Because of those days, I appreciate the music of Frank Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw and other big bands!

Get the SMU Band CD in the Spirit Shop and you'll see what I mean! NO ONE COULD EQUAL THEM for attitude and style!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:05 am

One additional note on the band: we played the SMU Band's version of "In the Mood" (Glenn Miller) from the CD at my Dad's memorial service at Perkins Chapel last month. It brought a smile to everyone's face!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

PreviousNext

Return to Football