PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Helmet Rendering

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Helmet Rendering

Postby Webmaster » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:47 am

Thank you to PonyFan "Grider" for making a rendering of what the new helmet will look like. This is purely for entertainment purposes and is not official.

------------------
Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com.

Please help our site grow by telling all of your friends and fellow Pony Fans about PonyFans.com.

If you have any problems or concerns, do not hesitate to email us at webmaster@ponyfans.com

The Webmasters, PonyFans.com

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-16-2003).]
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: New Helmet Rendering

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:23 am

If it looks like that I won't be nearly as unhappy as I thought I was going to be with it.

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:40 am

well.......if that is it.....the jury is definitely, definitely out.........
looks like too much of a collage of colors - too, too busy........i think we should just go with a 'red' or i should say 'crimson' for our true school colors for the helmet like we had in the 30's, 40's, early to mid-50's, 60's and early 70's.....hope they leave that 'busy' center 'red' & 'white' off!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SmooPower » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 am

Here's my concept:

SmooPower
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:13 am

diggin it...not sure if we;re keeping the stripe though...are we?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:53 am

Remind me what is going with this in terms of jerseys? I remember it was grey pants.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:00 am

Im sorry but that first pic is the ugliest thing I have ever seen! besides a horn frog that is but thats a different story! like the 2nd one much better though!

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FWMustang » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:52 am

Have you seen Harvards uni's? they have the Crimson jerseys (I think our navy one's would still work), a crimsons helmet, and the "old" maize pants. I would be for that scheme any day. I even like the flat grey NY Giants pants.

Not sure about this blue helmet w/ red mustang.

<A HREF="http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/harv/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-carlmorris2.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/harv/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-carlmorris2.jpg</A>
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Grider » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>Im sorry but that first pic is the ugliest thing I have ever seen! besides a horn frog that is but thats a different story! like the 2nd one much better though!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
HAAHAA!
Okay Mustang 35 but I would expect that from a Lobo. Smoo Power is obviously more adept with the computer graphics than myself. the purpose was just to get a feel for what the colors would look like on the helmet. I t wasn't meant to be a finshed product. BTW, next year Lufkin will sweep Longview and beat you again in the playoffs, if you get that far. ;-)
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:05 pm

OOO So You Wanna Bring the Battle of the LHS's into this?!!?! See Last Season Longview wasnt supposed to do a damn thing but look how far they went! and they went 7-0 in Non District Meetings! Now Im guessing you know nothing about the JV and Freshman Teams! Both 11-5A District Champions! JV only lost to Lufkin 12-10 Because of a Cheating Ref that worked for the Lufkin ISD and took back our winning Touchdown! but we came back and killed Lufkin to Win District! And Freshman only lost 2 games 30-29 to Tyler Lee and we came back and killed them and we lost to Lufkin in the finally game! Now You wanna say they're gonna sweep us again? Last Season Lobos Beat Evangle! Ruston! Tyler Lee! Lake Highlands! GARLAND! Carter! Spring! Next Season Will Be Our Season! Only Lost to District Members! Only have lost 1 games in the Past 2 Years at Lobo Staduim! Let the Tradition Live On!

------------------
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PonyFan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:38 pm

Nice work by Grider/Webmaster and Smoo Power!
They look great.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Grider » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:21 pm

Settle down 35. First of all. I didn't mean Lufkin swept y'all this year(did they? I don't remember). I meant Lufkin will do it next year. The "again" was for beating y'all in the playoffs. Besides, i was just trying to get a rise out of ya after you dogged my helmet design. I guess that worked seeing as how you had to bring a JV game into the mix.

But all kidding aside, the truth is that Lufkin and Longview play in the toughest district in the state. I don't think anyone could argue that. Lufkin, Lee, and Longview all had the talent to win state and John Tyler, who finished last, probably could have won district in about 9 out of 10 other 5A districts in the state. Not to mention, all teams play a pretty rough non-conference schedule. I have alot of respect for any team in this district. As for not being supposed to do anything last year, Lufkin wasn't ranked to high starting out the season either, but I'm pretty sure that all 3 teams were in or near the top 5 in the state at the end of the season.

There's going to be some good high school football next yearas well. I think all teams are going to have solid underclassmen filling in the gaps from graduating seniors. Lufkin is supposed to be better next year as well. I'm sure both Tylers will be pretty stout too. There's a reason there are only four teams in our district. They couldn't talk anyone into playing these teams every year. I wish you guys the best next year, and I would advise anyone on this board that is a fan of high school football to see a couple of these teams play when district cranks up. It's pretty intense, as you can probably guess. Keep it up 35, I like your enthusiasm.

Kick'em!! and go lobos, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited 01-17-2003).]
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:14 pm

Well Lufkin Might Have My Respect But Their Fans Dont! And If Ya Went to that Longview @ Lufkin game then you would know what I mean! And Im agreeing with you that this district is the toughest one in the State At the Moment and I still dont think Mesquite should get in it because they'll never see the playoffs again as long as they're in it! Guess We'll have to see how smart the UIL is next time!

------------------
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Grider » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>Well Lufkin Might Have My Respect But Their Fans Dont! And If Ya Went to that Longview @ Lufkin game then you would know what I mean! And Im agreeing with you that this district is the toughest one in the State At the Moment and I still dont think Mesquite should get in it because they'll never see the playoffs again as long as they're in it! Guess We'll have to see how smart the UIL is next time!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, unfortunately, didn't make it to that game, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. However, I can tell you that Lobo country can be a little hostile too. I think we both have good fans, for the most part. It's unfortunate, but understandable, that the negative fans are the people you gauge our fans by. I can tell you for certain that Lufkin fans aren't always bad sports ;-) Anyway, that's all I'm gonna say about high school football. Let's get back to talkin about the ponies and winning the WAC next year!!!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:14 pm

Both helmet renditions look good but I like the 2nd one just a little better. Not too sure about the stripes, though. I guess Phil will opt for the metallic-type finish like the Giants have. I think it is going to be a good look. What about jerseys? Are we going with the UCLA insert (remember the jerseys when Meredith played)? This is about as close to Hayden Fry's look as we've had. I think that was my all-time favorite. Looked real "collegiate."
Bergermeister

Next

Return to Football