PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

For bigdmustang

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

For bigdmustang

Postby Southern Miss LCA » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Take your Puke green as* out of our forum..This is not for you..it's for people that can say they went to SMU...either because we're rich or we are good enough to get a scholarship like me you will never be a mustang and you don't belong in here...take your crappy state school as* and get out. And take the white squirrel with you. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey jerk, I went to a state school and I liked my education a lot. I had friends that tried to get me to go to one of those snobby private schools, but I ignored them and went to a state school, and I enjoyed my experience, thank you very much!!! Just because you went to a private school doesn't make you any better than me or my public school counterparts!! And btw, Southern Miss has been on the college football map for quite some time now. We have defeated Alabama, Georgia, FSU (as in Florida State, not Fresno State), and Illinois in recent years. Can you say about that your team?? I think not!!! I don't want to see private school pipsqueak SMU in my conference because you're too much of a "Duke" or a "Vandy" !!!!
Southern Miss LCA

Re: For bigdmustang

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:46 pm

I guess you said something that made someone think you were from UNT. Of course, I would love to emulate Duke's basketball success. They're ranked what #1 in the Country. USM ever been ranked that high. Do Ole Miss grads still make fun of USM?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Southern Miss LCA » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>I guess you said something that made someone think you were from UNT. Of course, I would love to emulate Duke's basketball success. They're ranked what #1 in the Country. USM ever been ranked that high. Do Ole Miss grads still make fun of USM? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely not a UNT fan, although I have been quite impressed with the strides they have made over the years. No, USM has never been ranked #1 in the country, although I'd love to see it. As for the Ole Miss grads, they've been strangely silent for awhile now, as they know that we are the #1 program in the state now, not them.
Southern Miss LCA

Postby Southern Miss LCA » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:30 pm

Kinda shocking that C-USA public college program is #1 in its own state, eh? Especially considering that the state is in what is considered to be SEC territory.

SMU reminds me of old Georgia Tech also. GT could never get many fans outside of Atlanta. In fact, most people in Ga root for either UGA, Auburn, or Tennessee. GT is dead last in that group. Look at SMU. Does SMU have much of a statewide presence? If so, I'd love to see it. I'll wager that there are very few SMU fans outside of the DFW. I think the schools that are most popular in Texas (statewide) are Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska, maybe LSU, and maybe Texas Tech. Someone correct if I am wrong here.
How is Southern Miss better than that? Well, many in the state of Mississippi are familiar with our program. You could say that we are the "Southern Cal" of Mississippi. (i.e. the best team in the state is a directional school. ;-) ) Also, we've been on CBS and ESPN quite a few times recently. Not to mention that we have support in Alabama in addition to support in Mississippi. We are not confined to one particular area or region like you are.

Now, if SMU starts to knock off some SEC big boys like we've done (I'm familiar with the Arkansas upsets, but that's only a starting point. I'm talking teams like Alabama, Tennessee, etc.), then I might start looking at your program with a little more respect. Get some statewide support, and you'll really turn some heads in C-USA.
Southern Miss LCA

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:44 pm

11,000 undergrad students attend SMU. 43 plus attend both UT and Texas A&M. Private schools usually do not have much statewide fan support because they are not STATE schools. Notre Dame is an exception because they have nationwide support. The fans, students and alumni of SMU are a select few. It would be good for us to have 30,000 at games and when we have a couple of winning seasons we will get that type of crowd. Just so you know when measuring college football in the state of Mississippi your school is always overlooked. The majority of the people of Mississippi will not be happy until either Mississippi State or Ole Miss are playing top notch football. Even when USM is playing well their state does not really support them. They suffer from the same complex as Texas Tech. Look at the sizes of the major colleges in Mississippi:
USM 33,000
MSU 52,884
Ole Miss 60,580
It's obvious that the statewide support is not in favor of your school.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boulevard bum:
<B>Look at the sizes of the major colleges in Mississippi:
USM 33,000
MSU 52,884
Ole Miss 60,580
It's obvious that the statewide support is not in favor of your school.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a correction to what I wrote...I meant the sizes of the school's prospective stadiums.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:08 pm

"As for the Ole Miss grads, they've been strangely silent for awhile now, as they know that we are the #1 program in the state now, not them."

That's like saying you have the highest IQ in a group that only includes yourself, Dubbya and Dan Quayle. Sounds like you're damning your school with faint praise.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby PX » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:33 pm

SMU doesnt have 11,000 undergrads, more like half that. Maybe 11,000 if you combined the undergrads and all the graduate programs.
Southern Cal is a "directional school" in name only. They are actually a private school, not state supported. Georgia Tech, on the other hand, is a public school, not private. A common misconception.
PX
Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:33 pm

You're right PX. My information was either old or inaccurate. We are even more select than I thought. The total student enrollment is a little over 9,000 and the undergrad is just about half of 11,000. I duno where I got the 11,000 number. Oh yea I do. NCAA football 2002 or March Madness 99 put our undergrad enrollment at 11,000. I'm going to half to pull that out and look at it. Maybe I'll mail EA sports and correct that so they don't put it on another game.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Return to Football