PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB next year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QB next year

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:43 pm

I just wanted to know if we were sticking with Bartel this year or if we might have someone else. I remember some semi-big name quarterbacks like Mark something or other from the State Championship Mesquite Skeeters team and a few other guys that were redshirted last year. My question to everyone is , is Bartel going to be the starter and if so do you think he should be? I know we are getting Ricky Joe Meeks and he's supposed to be a pretty good QB. Is the good move to keep Bartel calling the plays in the huddle?
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Re: QB next year

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:37 pm

Bartel starts the season at QB no doubt. The Mark you are talking about is Mark Hodges (I believe). We also have (or had) Donnie Gilray. If anyone out there wants to let me know about what's going on with Gilray, I'd love to know. But regardless Bartel is our opening day QB. If Gilray is still here, then I have to think that both Meeks and Philips get redshirted. But if Gilray is not here... Bartel has to make great strides in the off season, maybe I'll change my mind, but I think Ricky Joe Meeks is the starter by season's end.

Also it would make for a great story, Ricky Joe Meeks the next great Mustang QB from Mount Vernon.

Nonetheless, Bartel has the tools. I would like nothing more then to see him sucseed.

One final note... this is my first post on PonyFans or any other board in a long time. I've found this board only a couple of days ago and have already had a good deal of fun reading the posts. I haven't posted anything on a bulletin board since you had to dial straight into them (over a decade ago when I was in junior high). So I'm a bit rusty. Glad to be a part of the fold. Thanks. And, uh, Ponies National Champions in 2008.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:40 pm

You see that? My first post and I already made a mistake... Two submissions of the same material... I diserve to be quartered.

I was smart and deleted the second post. Time shake the rust off.

[This message has been edited by PonyExpress83 (edited 01-18-2003).]

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:03 am

YEah you do. Gilray is definitely not going to be in a Mustang uniform next year...big spat between Bennett and his daddy. Bartel will start...unless Phillips or Meeks totally takes charge in two-a-days. We'll see. Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ProudPonyMa » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:32 am

O6 from Daytona, why do you think you know everything about my son? You are always off the mark by a long shot. THere has been no biff with Bennett and Donnie's'"Daddy".I am sick and tired of you always trying to stir up trouble, more than is there. Donnie has a plan, that does not include SMU, or you. And I might add, its a good one.Other schools are aware of my sons talent. I keep telling myself not to read this stuff, but I guess I have a certain loyaly to SMU too. But when I read crap about my son, I have to say something.Please stop talking dirt about him. Most of the problems have simply been rumors, and that is how it got out of hand.Does it really make you feel better to say untrue and hateful things about someone else? Maybe you are the one with the problem.GO DONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ProudPonyMa

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:27 pm

Through unfortunate circumstances, it is my understanding that Donnie Gilray is no longer part of the team. It'll be interesting to watch to see where he ends up and how he does. Considering all he and his family went through in this mess, I think the VERY LEAST we owe Donnie and his family are our wholehearted best wishes for the future.

Bartel EARNED the starting job last year, and it was one heck of a rough road for both him and the fans. Meeks and Phillips both represent some terrific talent at the QB position, but it would be hard to fathom that they could come in and knock Bartel out of the starting job.

I imagine both Meeks and Phillips will travel with the squad. I think what'll be interesting to see is whether or not one of these guys is able to bump Hodges out of the #2 spot.

There might be a possibility that they blow the redshirt year on one of these guys if Bartel gets hurt. But not both.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:54 pm

Well I hope we can redshirt them both. It would make me rest easier... At any rate, I think Bartel's got the skills (and what does my opinion count for)... I just don't want to see him playing baseball all summer.

Too bad about Donnie, he has such a great name too. It's like a Sci-Fi hero/ Quarterback/ Gunslinger. "I'm Donnie Gilray, I'm here to rescue you."

ThadFilms

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:33 pm

PonyExpress83,

Hey that's a good one. If ranked by name impact alone, you'd have to go with:

Duke Hasson (who could be tougher than Duke?)
Ricky Joe (any Texas kid with the name Ricky Joe has just GOT to be able to sling a pigskin)

Donnie Gilray

Chuck Zars

Chris Philips (about the same name appeal as Chris Simms)

Richard Bartel

Paul Teinert
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ProudPonyMa » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:39 am

Pony Express. I have to agree, that is a good one. Your post lifted my spirits. I am still giggling over it. Sometimes you just have to find the humor to get by tough times. Thanks for pointing it out for me. And thanks to Peruna, for noticing the other Mustang Super Heroes. Now I keep visualizing football players wearing capes. You guys are a hoot.
ProudPonyMa

Postby ThadFilms » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:45 am

PerunaPucnh... I like all your suggestions... what about Ramoan Flanigan? I do like Meeks. He's got a good name too.

I mean, just think about it. It's 1955, he's got a 10-2-4 Dr. Pepper in his hand, and he's standing outside a house of ill repute, (be sure to add a southern twang) "I'm Ricky Joe Meeks, I'm gonna' play ball for SMU. How do you like that, darlin'?"

Though I still think Donnie Gilray's got the best name of the bunch. "Hi ma'am." tips his cap/space helmet, "Donnie Gilray. I'm the captain of this bird and I'll take you as far as you need to go... but the stars my destination."

[This message has been edited by PonyExpress83 (edited 01-19-2003).]

ThadFilms

Postby Otto » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:43 pm

First, I want to echo Peruna Punch by offering Donnie Gilray and his family my sincerest best wishes for the future, no matter where he ends up. Someone wrote here that once he signed with SMU, he became a Mustang in our eyes, and once a Mustang, always a Mustang. I wish the Gilray family nothing but good furtune in the future.

Secondly - does this string of posts mean Tate Wallis has been moved from QB? If so, what position is he going to play this year?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:18 pm

I can't believe that NO ONE posted the name DOAK WALKER! or Kyle Rote!

Other 'greats' that come to mind:

William (Bill) Skeeters
Don Meredith
Mike Livingston
Jerry Levias
Chuck Hixson
Keith Bobo
Eric Dickerson
Craig James (any guy with two first names has got to have SOMETHING going for him!)

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby boulevard bum » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Otto:
<B>

Secondly - does this string of posts mean Tate Wallis has been moved from QB? If so, what position is he going to play this year?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have family back in Ennis, the town where Tate Wallis played High School ball, and the rumor around town is that Tate lost his scholarship and is not on the team any more. I don't think that's true because that rumor started before the Tulsa game and Tate played in that one. BUT, there is always some truth to a rumor so I wouldn't be surprised if he changed schools.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby In Tate We Trust » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:15 pm

Needless to say, I hope that's not true. Tate's an outstanding young man.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:24 pm

THIS MAY BE A DUPLICATE POST. SORRY FOR THE BAD TYPING, IF SO.

boulevard bum -

The people in the SID office are scrupulous about removing names from the roster in the official website when a player leaves the team. One example was J.D. Blagg. My memory is that his name was removed the same day we read on MM that his injury had not responded.

Not to say that Tate Wallis might not be looking at other schools, but he's still on the roster, so I discount any action by SMU.
No Quarter
Heisman

Next

Return to Football