PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Name on the jersey

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Name on the jersey

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:51 pm

I was looking through the extensive discussion on the new uniforms and someone(I don't remember who and don't feel like going back through the over 20 messages on the topic) said that the SMU on the jersey looked like a high school team. Now there are a lot of colleges that do not have their school's name on the jersey but every big name college in Texas it seems like does have their name on their jersey. I would like to know from the person that made that comment if he thinks that UT, A&M, and Tech's jerseys look like a high school teams. I'm just curious. I mean everybody can't look like Notre Dame. Let me be more specific and say that they have the name of the school in bold letters across the chest. It seems characteristic of Big 12 teams and Texas colleges and being from Texas I think that's all that matters. I don't want to look like UCONN or UAB. I think our look right now could fit very well into a major conference like the Big 12. That's kind of why I don't like the change but I think I will when I see the uniforms.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Re: Name on the jersey

Postby smudad » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:09 pm

I tend to like a simpler, retro look - no school names, no player names. I wish SMU would settle down and establish a uni with its REAL school colors, although I would prefer gray - not silver or turquoise like the Cowboys - pants. The headgear I've seen most on Mr. Walker was a crimson one. I like that. And the team could easily wear crimson, blue or white jersey's. But, again, with the REAL SMU colors.

I think the more crap you add to the the uniforms - names, patches, God-awful stickers on the headgear, etc. - the more bush-league they look. Many of you know I follow TAMU as well. But I'd just as soon they left the school and player name off the jersy's. Wouldn't mind seeing the ATM on the headgear toned down a bit as well. Bigger and flashier is not necessarily better. But that doesn't sell well these days.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby SMU Blue » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:36 pm

I think simplicity is best. The best uniforms in the country, Alabama and UT, are both very simple.

Since we almost have the same basic colors, we should think about doing something similar to Washington & Lee...

SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:14 am

OO I LOVE THAT UNIFORM! LoL hey did we get new moderateds??? or is that just me

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

[This message has been edited by Mustangs35SMU (edited 01-18-2003).]
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby boulevard bum » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMU Blue:
<B>I think simplicity is best. The best uniforms in the country, Alabama and UT, are both very simple.

Image </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the simplicity thing but I don't think our uniforms now are that complicated. I also think we should go back to our light blue of the early eities. I know Doak is the most legendary player ever to play but I think there were more superstars on that eigties squad. Of course I was not born before 1980 so I wouldn't have the slightest idea about other greats on that 30's team. Anyway, I really like our uniforms now but I would like to go with more of a light blue if that in fact is our true school color. BUT, our colors are harvard red and yale blue. Harvard is crimson...what is yale's original color? because if I'm not mistaken they wear navy now.
I am very attached to todays uniform. I think it's great. I would not be against simplification. That is what makes Alabama and ND's uniforms so great. However, I will disagree with the whole UT thing because I do like the style of the uni but I hate that color. I also halfway support the Ags too. But not nearly the way I support the Mustangs...I never got as upset after an A&M loss as I do after a Mustang loss now that I've become one.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby ThadFilms » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:35 am

Simplicity is great... But I'll always equate (my memories of) the 1980's with the SMU Mustangs. And I just have always loved their look. It's distinctive. I used to say that the eighties to me were, "Coke, Miami Vice, and the Mustang Band."

I know were talking about football unies here, but I loved the flash (with both the football and the band). Especially with ED inside the football unie. I was five in 1983, though I can't remember much else from that year, I can remember every Mustang game. And now (with the NY Giants-esque uniforms on the horizon) I am just having trouble imagining the ponies looking any different. I also did not like the dark blue pants they broke out a couple times this year. But, however, I do love the third jersies. The red ones. They haven't worn those in a while.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Otto » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:47 pm

That's a darn good look W&L is throwing out there.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby SMU Blue » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:56 pm

Since our colors are supposed to be "Yale" blue, I wouldn't mind going to navy blue like the uniforms Yale has...
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:25 pm

hey check these images out...they are pretty shoddy, i just wanted to try and get an idea of what the unis would look like in my head.

<A HREF="http://heinekendd.tripod.com/smu_Away.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://heinekendd.tripod.com/smu_Away.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://heinekendd.tripod.com/smu_home.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://heinekendd.tripod.com/smu_home.jpg</A>

note: don't click the link if there is one. copy and paste the url or tripod will block the picture.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 01-19-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football