PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Life insurance for Richard Bartel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Life insurance for Richard Bartel

Postby PK » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:03 pm

Come on PX...lighten up a bit, people here are just trying to have a little fun. I seriously doubt anyone has any real visions of a one season turn around from #117 (or in that general area) to a national title, but after what most of us have been through the last fourteen years, we deserve a little something to be excited about. Fear not, we will not come banging on your door next year and cry that you didn't warn us. Besides, being silly can have therapeutic value just like laughing.

The remarks concerning the O-line being comprised of players from one recruiting class never stated that they would play as freshmen. In fact I don't know if having an O-line comprised totally of players from one recruiting class would really be all that unusual a deal, but the reality is that we could at some point a few years down the road wind up with a starting O-line with all the players from the same recruiting class...and then maybe not, but I repeat, that post never said it would happen in their freshman year.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:37 pm

Nope, sorry, cannot lighten up. Reality is a thankless job, but I feel it is my calling in life. I held my tongue until the discussion got too ridiculous.
And you dont need to repeat yourself, I never said the players would start as freshmen, either. I said they should be redshirted. I could repeat it a few times, though, if being redundant somehow helps.

[This message has been edited by PX (edited 01-23-2003).]
PX
Varsity

Postby Smuboy » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:55 pm

Someone asked last week who Chad Meachum was and I replied in an earlier post, including a statement that the coaches expected him to report in the fall at 285 lbs. He was in Houston this weekend and is already up to 292. It may be that by the season opener Chad will make it to that magical 300 pound mark some of you have been wishing for.
Smuboy

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:19 pm

PX, I NEVER even insinuated that these freshmen would start this year.

But I think I do, and every PonyFan does, have the right to be excited about this incoming line! I may have carried it a bit too far, but for once, it?s nice to have recruited damn near a whole OL unit of size and strength. Frankly, to be real blunt, I?m sick and tired of not being able to push defenders off the ball. And I?m real sick of having more opposing jerseys in our backfield than blue jerseys. Get it through your thick head that I (and often do) exaggerate on purpose to emphasize my point!!!

Did you even know Jerry Ball, or are you just quoting junk from your media guide? I did.

[This message has been edited by PerunaPunch (edited 01-28-2003).]
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:56 pm

Your enthusiasm is valid and with complete merit. Don't let anyone talk you out of being excited. Despite what the skeptics might say, this is by far the best class we've recruited in 20 years or so, and we wouldn't be doing our duty as PonyFans if we WEREN'T fired up!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby PX » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
<B>PX, I NEVER even insinuated that these freshmen would start this year.

Did you even know Jerry Ball, or are you just quoting junk from your media guide? I did.

[This message has been edited by PerunaPunch (edited 01-28-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEITHER FRIGGING DID I! I never said anything about them starting as freshmen, I said they should be redshirted. Jesus, where do you mutts get this from?

Did I know Jerry Ball? You cant possibly be serious. How long have you known me? When did I play for SMU? Has your memory short circuited this frigging bad?
I met Jerry his first day on campus. I went against him (directly) every day in practice until I got off the scout team. Does sharing a locker room, road trips, classes, study hall, and the occasional game of dominos count? Yeah, I knew him, just a little.
You're about to make me pull my hair out here. Are you doing this intentionally, just to send me off the deep end?
PX
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:29 pm

PX,

Whatever you do, don't pull your hair out... You see where that's gotten me!

I guess I did space. For whatever reason, I thought you graduated in the mid-'80s.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football