PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC finishes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WAC finishes

Postby Q fan » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:28 pm

I know this is way out of date, but I just looked at the final polls for football and saw for the first time that Boise State finished at #12 in the coaches poll and at #15 in the AP poll. That is far and away the highest non-BCS ranking. The only other non-BCS schools to make it were TCU and Marshall, which both ecked in at between #22 and #24.

Its funny, the WAC is such an odd, far flung conference that Boise State can go 12-1, finish in the top 15, and not even be on the radar screen for fans of other schools in the same conference. I frankly paid almost no notice to Boise State this season.

I hope Boise State can keep it going up there. If SMU turns it around and Boise, and Hawaii keep fielding quality teams, the WAC could be a halfway decent football conference. Not to mention all the partial or non qualifiers and JC transfers that will keep things going at Fresno, San Jose, and LA Tech.

Regardless, the WAC just doesn't make sense. Let's build this thing up and align ourselves in a regional conference.
Q fan

Re: WAC finishes

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:12 am

Q Fan, yes, the WAC doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is where we are so we must deal with it for the time being. As for you not taking not of boise, it seems typical of SMU fans in the Texas and eastern areas. I live out west, so I notice. Also, the coaches, and key players for boise all have ties to the Sacramento area. So do folks at nevada, and fresno st. While it may be easy for us to look down on those schools and programs, they have done a lot more in less time than SMU has done. I'm glad we have Bennett, as I think he can bring the fire that has been brought to boise and nevada. If they can do it, we surely can. SMU is way better in academics, and Dallas is a far better place than Reno or Boise. Don't dismiss those progams, let's do some learning. If we can all get better, it will be better for us.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Football