PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pipe Dream Scenerio Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pipe Dream Scenerio Question

Postby MustangKurt20 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:10 am

Lets all put on our fantasy caps and assume SMU shocks the nation and wins em all. Even if we win every single game would we make a BCS bowl? And assuming we did win them all, we'd have to make T-shirts from the movie "Coming to America" where Randolph and Mortimor are homeless and Eddie Murphy gives them some money and he says "Mortimor! We're Back"...That just screams SMU.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: Pipe Dream Scenerio Question

Postby Eddie P » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:07 am

We still wouldn't be in the BCS. No way, no how. That place is more exclusive than Augusta.

Postby PonyPower » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:27 am

More exclusive than Augusta? Ouch! Who gets to play Hootie the Narrowminded in your BCS scenario?
PonyPower
All-American

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:49 am

I have got to agree with Eddie P....

No way. No how. BUT!!!! Perhaps, we'll be in the most podunk of BCS bowls. Let's say, even then, if we go two years undefeated we'll be in the national championships for sure. We'd have to be. I would like anybody to disagree with the latter part of my statement. Because they'd be wrong (any team that goes two year without a loss would HAVE to be in the National Championship Game).

But, my point is... if we went undefeated, and even if we were the only undefeated team in the nation, we wouldn't be in the national championship next season. We do not play any great teams. That's my two cents, and my ten cents is free. Who sent, you sent- You sent for me?

Sorry. Just got back from the bars.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:44 am

I will disagree with the last part of your statement. Back to back unbeaten seasons would not guarantee any mid-majore program a birth in a BCS game, much lass the national Championship. It all comes down to the ratings, and unless you're deemed to have beaten respectable competition, being undefeated doesn't guarantee you anything in this system. In SMU's case, because the WAC schedule really hurts your RPI, we'd have to play a very impressive non-conference schedule. Beating a Top 10 team in a "kick-off classic" might be necessary, along with wins over teams like TCU,Okla St & TTech. Even games with Baylor will not count as much of an accomplishment.

The day we put together back-to-back unbeaten seasons is the day we crash the BCS party, though...probably as the last of the 8 teams selected. By then, the "pollsters" would recognize SMU, or anyone who accomplished that feat, as a program that can absolutely compete with Top 10 teams.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:36 am

Remember Tulane. They went undefeated and didn't go to a BCS Bowl. They weren't in the top 6. We'd have to hope that if that dream season ever happened, that Ok. State, Tech or Baylor won the Big 12. Then, we'd possibly squeak into the 6th spot and play on New Year's Day somewhere (probably the Cotton Bowl). We would not play in the Big 5 bowls because they can pick down to No. 12. That's why Iowa went to the Orange instead of the Rose this year. They were afraid to wait for the Rose and end up at the Outback Bowl.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dooby » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:30 pm

Ironically, I am convinced that if SMU (or a similarly situated team) did go undefeated, it would the posterchild for a playoff system-forcing a revision of the BCS. The BCS would then be replaced by a playoff system, wherein the selection process of the seeds would effectively eliminate any possibility that SMU would ever make the playoffs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:52 pm

You can't spell BCS without BS.
Nacho

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:47 pm

Actually we have the schedule that could get us in if we did, by some miracle, win them all.

Thats 3 Big-XII team (yeah, one is Baylor) and the defending co-champion of the CUSA.

Recently Fresno St. was really being touted as BCS material after beating a Big-XII, Big-televen, and PAC-10 team. What was that, season before last in David Carr's last season.

Boise St. ended up #12 with one loss and a mediocre schedule. If we ran the table it would not be out of the question.

[This message has been edited by The PonyGrad (edited 01-24-2003).]
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:57 pm

I know this was framed with a fantasy label at the beginning - but should'nt we have at least one winning season in recent memory before we even throw this out - it just looks a little silly a this point.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:57 pm

I know this was framed with a fantasy label at the beginning - but should'nt we have at least one winning season in recent memory before we even throw this out - it just looks a little silly a this point.
gostangs

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:38 pm

Well at least there is finally some optimism on the board Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football