PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mike Cavan: Where is he now?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mike Cavan: Where is he now?

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:01 pm

All good points Stallion, thanks for making an intelligent counterpoint.

Unfortunately, as in all business, your effectiveness in a job is usually determined by your success or lack thereof. External factors such as the economy, distribution chain issues, your product vs. the competition's all play into it. But finally, decisions are usually made based on the bottom line.

Agreed that Cavan may not have been playing on an even field (not unlike the situation with ex-Cowboys coach dave Campo), but the bottom line is that the team declined every year under his tenure.

I think Cavan's teams tended to play some great defense. But the offensive play calling tended to be horrible. I personally don't think he recruited very well. Again, while I agree that Cavan recruited a couple of gems, his teams never had quality depth. I think that in several cases, we landed several good players, who for whatever reason, flew below the radar screen of other programs. Were the recruiting restrictions too much to overcome? I know Stallion that you tend to place much of our current misery on the administration (and to at least some extent you're right). But would another coach have been able to work with the AD to get those restrictions lifted earlier? Would another coach have been able to sell the program despite those restrictions? I just don't know.

But IMHO, in the final analysis, it's not that Cavan couldn't be successful somewhere, it's just that he didn't have the wherewithal to be successful here. And that's the point.

[This message has been edited by PerunaPunch (edited 01-28-2003).]
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:28 pm

I think SMU was Caven's problem. We had screwy recruiting rules and a near impossible admission standard.

Not to mention all the anti athletics faculty nonsense that interfered with all athletics.

Rossly, Greg and Caven were all hamstrung by our beloved SMU administration.

OK, we got caught playing loose with the rules and we got penalized, now move on. Make the program competitive and have safeguards but don't kill it.

Remember Pye and his commit to end Division I sports at SMU. Caven wasn't perfect but the real problem was SMU and its policies.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:53 am

Cavan had problems keeping the good guys he signed. His defense was pretty good for what he had to work with and defensive fundamentals improved his first year but declined later. I don't know why but the ability to tackle became less and less his last 3 years. Offensively, he didn't have a clue. The proof of how good of a coach/salesman he is will be in his future offers. I don't see any offers in his future to compare with Rossley or Gregg's. I wish him well but I think his days as a HC in D1 are over. Bennett's first year as a coach was disspointing but ususally there is a fall off when the new coach tries to implement his style, system and beliefs. Bennett's energy level is MUCH higher and I guarantee he knows enough about SMU football that he won't call a victory over a team that won 3 games as the greatest in SMU history. That had to be one of the most idiotic and embarrassing statements I ever heard about a once proud football tradition.
OldPony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football