PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ticket contract

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ticket contract

Postby Nacho » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:35 pm

When does our Ticket radio contract expire? Can't we get on another radio stastion? Except for SMU games I never listen to it. It is horrible.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ticket contract

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:35 pm

The Ticket has more male listeners who are sports fans than any other station in the metroplex, or the entire "southwest" for that matter.

We're very lucky to have The Ticket broadcast our football games... if only we could get them to carry the basketball games as well (then i wouldn't set a stereo up near the ceiling at just the right angle when I'm in the kitchen).
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Q fan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:50 pm

Sometimes listening to KSKY feels like listening to a short wave broadcast of North Korean state radio. I too have often played the "position the radio at just the right angle to minimize the static and overlapping Mexican music broadcast" game.

As for the ticket, I am not a fan of "sports talk" to begin with. While I like listening to football and basketball games, I could not care less what some overweight [deleted] sitting in a studio has to say about them or the athletes. That being said, the ticket is definately a step up (signal strength-wise) from the old station that used to broadcast SMU games. Moving to the ticket was the one enduring benefit we got out of the great 6-5 first Cavan season. Couldn't care less about the station, glad to have a stronger signal.
Q fan

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:31 pm

I am also not thrilled with the ticket - their guys are all ex TCU and NTSU guys - but the fact is they target a good sports audience and can help shape opinion - when they do our games at least one of them is employed in an outside gig, and is therefore a fan of the program. We need to interact wiht them more IMO, and try to get our basketball on their station also.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:50 pm

Not living in Dallas, I don't listen to its sports radio. But I have noticed that the sports station that carries the Caps in DC spends all its time talking about the Redskins and rarely about the Caps and when they do, they dump on them. Just because you're on a sports station, isn't always the best thing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:36 pm

another good thing about the ticket is that you can pick it up on the internet from anywhere in the world via <A HREF="http://www.theticket.com..." TARGET=_blank>www.theticket.com...</A> and it usually still comes in much clearer than ksky does.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:20 am

I live in Lake Highlands, and I listen to all the away basketball games on the Internet. KSKY comes through just fine if you have a set of speakers attached to your computer. I quit trying to get it via a radio a couple of years ago.

I was also stuck in Detroit for 5 mos awhile back, and basketball was just as clear there because of the Internet
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby boulevard bum » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>It is horrible. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so your opinion. I am very glad that we have been on the Ticket. I love the station. There are around 5 different shows during the day. You can't possibly hate all of them. I like Norm Hitzges, Bob and Dan and even enjoy the Hardline sometimes. Even Dunham and Miller in the morning help me get to school in the morning in a good mood. Don't dis the Ticket until you've listened to it all day. That would be like hating skittles after only trying the orange ones.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q fan:
<B>I could not care less what some overweight [deleted] sitting in a studio has to say about them or the athletes. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. First of all there are only 2 overweight people that have consistent shows every day and they aren't even that fat. Second of all I don't even like listening to games on the radio. The only benefit I get from them is knowing the score in ample time. Games on the radio just frustrate me because I can't watch everything that's happening. I'm glad we are on such a high profile station but I hate listening to sporting events. The first year the Dallas Stars played in the playoffs I did not have cable and could only listen to the radio. That was torture. Last years tournament game against Nevada was also torture. Listening to very educated, established sports analysts such as Norm Hitzges is intellectually stimulating. Not everyone can be an athlete and not every athlete can be a sports analyst. It's harder than you think.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:54 am

Norm Hitzges intellectually stimulating?
...and Susan Sarandon is a conservative
Bergermeister

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:38 pm

Has anyone else had trouble getting the KSKY internet broadcast recently? I had to listen to the Tulsa broadcast last time...
It's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it.
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:18 pm

I even like the ticket! and I cant stand the radio! I only listen to the radio to the Stars games ,only because we dont get KDIF down here, and to the SMU games like the away games and after the home games! (because I love post game shows for some reason) So Im glad that SMU is on the Ticket and we shouldnt leave it! Now we just gotta get a TV station to show all our games on!

------------------
Home of the 1935 National Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
DIFFERENT TEAM! SAME SOUL! SAME GOAL! BLEED GREEN AND GOLD! GO LOBOS! WIN 2003-2004 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PK » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>Now we just gotta get a TV station to show all our games on!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Road games yes...home games NO. Our lazy "Fans" will stay home and watch the games from their couch!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby StangEsq » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:49 pm

I think the posts here are reflective of the fact that most people either love or hate The Ticket... in any case, there are a lot of people who listen, which is good for us.

I disagree with the fatass comment as well... the fattest host on the ticket knows more about sports than any other memeber of the Texas media (except maybe Chuck Cooperstein).

And how can you not love Gordo?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:08 pm

I hate everything about the Ticket except the football games.

But the fact is that it's the biggest radio in the metroplex that occasionally talks sports. What kills me is that we pay the station to broadcast our games, yet we can't get their moron hosts to stop talking trash about us.

When we're winning a lot in a couple of years, those same idiots who rip us now are going to be riding the bandwagon and saying they've supported us all along. What a bunch of no-talent hypocrites.

Other than Saturday afternoons in the fall, I urge all PonyFans to NEVER listen to the Ticket, and to avoid all businesses that sponsor the station, until the hosts change their ways.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Next

Return to Football