PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies to the NFL?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ponies to the NFL?

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:43 pm

"Scoops" quoted an assistant coach as saying Darrin Johnson might have an NFL future.

Who else do you think can develop to the point of having a pro career? In addition to Darrin, I'd say

Jay Taylor (longshot, but the potential is there)
Jonas Rutledge
Jamey Harper
Justin Boren
Richuel Massey
Avery Cleveland
Chris Phillips (maybe at another position)
Darkhorse: Robert Gilmore

What do you guys think?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Ponies to the NFL?

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:21 pm

Wow, it is a little early to be picking recruits as NFL picks, isn't it? Image
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:45 pm

yeah I'd say so. Remember there are 38 TBs in this class alone rated hirer than him. Let's just relax and watch him develop first before he put him in the NFL.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horizon Shine » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:36 pm

I think you could be SO far ahead of yourself on so many matters that it's starting to cloud your common sense. Look at past recruiting classes and the praise everyone on this board is guilty of providing. The last quality class we had was the 1999 recruiting class and while alot of their eligibility expired, or left the team, or bascically quit, or whatever else could be the cause, I can only remember the names from that class that were "can't miss" recruits and sure-fire NFL prospects. Ponder back on that class. C.B. Williams, Warrie Birdwell, Kelan Luker, Marcus Carter, just a select few of many that you people hyped before they signed who turned out to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Or the year before with David Ellen, Josh McCown, Marcus Mosley, or Jeff Henderson. My point, some came on to great things, others flopped like a Burger Street double cheese, so lay off picking names off a list and thinking they have what it takes to play in the NFL when they haven't even gone to a prom. I hope these recruits come in and play well enough to win 6 games one day, but let's not jump on some Phil Bennett bandwagon for his recruiting efforts when they are no more special that Cavan's or Rossley's.
\"No soup for you!\"
Horizon Shine

Postby Invader133 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:00 pm

Anybody know the projection on Kevin Garrett, or anybody else have a chance of moving on? Interested to see if Kevin Aldredge makes it off the Titans Practice Squad too.
Invader133
Recruit

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:08 pm

I agree that talking about the NFL is way premature. I'm merely concerned with whether or not they are good enough someday to help us win the WAC. However, to say that this class is no better, or similar, to Rossley's or Cavan's is simply incorrect. Rossley never had a class come even close to this one on paper. Cavan, arguably, had one class that was close. It's important to note that Phil Bennett's presence has allowed us to compete for athletes that bigger programs are also recruiting. That has rarely happened in the past.

Having said all of this, our recruiting class is much better than many expected given last years won-loss record. We'll know in about 2-3 years how this class really ranks. But, as far as how I feel on January 31,2003, I'm extremely pleased with how this class looks on paper.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:08 pm

I wasn't saying all those guys were headed to the NFL - just a little healthy speculation. Believe me, I'm not delusional enough to be predicting NFL careers for anyone. Just taking wild guesses.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:59 pm

Comet
Lefty
All-American

Return to Football