PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU in Big 12?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU in Big 12?

Postby BTPony » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:02 pm

WHEN we consistently win out of conference games AND dominate the WAC we'll be noticed by the BSC. Belief that we somehow belong in a BSC conference ignores the fact that we've been weak in a mid-major. We should avoid any reliance on our traditioned PAST and address our PRESENT condition to get our programs (FBall and BBall) back on track. After all, we aren't entitled to anything!
BTPony
Recruit

Postby NCPony » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:36 pm

The ACC may have been snobbish at times, but I wouldn't think they would thumb their nose at L'ville, Cincy, or Memphis and include East Carolina- I believe that you left out ECU intentionally. ECU currently recruits against the Big 4 (Wake, NC St, UNC, Duke) and has a huge rivalry vs. NC St in football [the rivalry got so out of hand, the 2 schools quit playing each other for a while]. There have even been rumors of the ACC expanding to 12 schools (wishful thinking, like this thread) which speculates schools such as Miami, Va.Tech, Cincinatti, West Va., Notre Dame, and others as possibilities. There has even been the idea of making some geographical switches with the SEC (So. Car and Tenn for FSU and Ga.Tech), something that sounds familiar on this board. So, never say never. The situation would have to be right for both the conference in question and the school being brought into that conference. Just like happened with the ACC and Fla. St. Something similar could (and hopefully will) happen with SMU and the Big XII in the future.
NCPony

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:02 pm

Quite frankly, I forgot about ECU. I don't remember all the names in C-USA since we aren't members. The ACC has resisted Va. Tech and West Virginia over the years. They reluctantly took FSU after Ga. Tech threatened to leave. I agree that Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake would block ECU which is why any hook-up with C-USA wouldn't work because they might end up with an Duke for ECU trade.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:00 am

The thing that's easily overlooked in all this conference speculation is that the College Presidents (with input from their ADs) are the ones who ultimately make those decisions, and the ACC brass has frowned on ECU because it's not of the same caliber as the rest of the league when it comes to the ACADEMIC reputations of the member schools. Conference affiliations are not entirely about money and who has the strongest football/basketball programs. ACC expansion rumors over the years have included Miami, Syracuse, UConn, B.C. and Va Tech...but I've never heard ECU get any serious consideration.
Charleston Pony

Postby NCPony » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:16 am

I just brought up ECU for the geographic possibility, somewhat similar to SMU and the Big XII (Those are the only similarities btwn ECU and SMU, besides having "University" in the title).
East- you're right, academically, they are not on the same level as the others. I believe that without adding FSU the ACC might not be where they are right now- FSU raised the bar on coaching, recruiting, and, ultimately, winning.
Charleston- good point; hopefully SMU's academic rep will help us get back into a strong conference, whether it's the Big XII or a new SWC. If SMU ends up signing all the verbals this year and continue their success the next few years, the school will be in a great position to make a transition to a better conference.
NCPony

Postby StangStud05 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:58 pm

SMU should definitely be considered for a Big 12 spot. In a couple of years the mustangs will definitely play at the level of Texas A&M, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State. They will definitely be contenders for the conference championship a few years after they are realigned there, if they are.
StangStud05

Postby Lawgrad » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:21 pm

As much as I am a SMU "homer", I think anyone who thinks that we will be competing at a level that would put us into the upper echelon of the Big XII in the next 3 years is dreaming. We first need to show that we can compete in the upper echelon of the WAC before we can ever consider moving forward. I guarantee you that the other Big XII schools would look at SMU (if we joined) as the Vandy of the conference. This is not to say I don't want to join the Big XII-in fact, far from it. We would bring a ton to the table in the non-revenue producing sports and would present a very attractive recruiting opportunity for FB and BB by virtue of our location.

There are a number of schools in the Big XII (KU, MU, ISU, etc.) that devote significantly larger sums of money to Football than we do, and still are traditionally at the bottom of the pile in football. While I strongly hope that we eventually get invited, we should not have stars in our eyes with regards to our immediate chance of success.
Lawgrad
Scout Team

Postby OldPony » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:38 pm

We will not be invited to join the Big 12 period. No one cares about non-revenue sports except the players and Sears points followers which aren't many. If we can't start drawing fans, not only will we not be invited to the Big 12, we won't be invited anywhere. IF we start winning AND we can fill Ford AND Moody with SMU fans (not opponents' fans), we will be attractive. Not until ALL those things happen. This is a discussion that is ongoing but not productive.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:49 pm

If we start winning, we WILL draw fans. We're in Dallas. Dallas people love a winner. Look at the Mavericks, who couldn't fill the stadium by giving away tickets 4 years ago, but have now sold out 45 games in a row or whatever. Look at the Cowboys, who have sold out every game since 91... but when they were 1-15, they couldn't get 35,000 in that stadium. Look at the Starz.

Think of the football and basketball programs this way: If we build it, they will come.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby NCPony » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is a discussion that is ongoing but not productive.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
-<B>OldPony</B>

When has a message board ever been "productive"? Image
NCPony

Postby OldPony » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:59 pm

NC-That is an astute observation, maybe the best in this whole line.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:14 pm

I repeat: I will eat the turf at the 50-yd. line of Ford Stadium if SMU becomes a member of the Big XII. 'Nuff said.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby StangEsq » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:18 am

That sounds like an even trade. I'll join you. Maybe if we get enough people to do it (20,000 or so), they'll let us in just to see the spectacle.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:37 pm

We could easily hold our own in the Big XII.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we went 5-6 in our first season in the Big XII.

Plus, it would bring the program instant credibility and recognition in Dallas. We would sell out every game as well.

Within 2-3 years, I bet we'd be 8-3 at least.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyte » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:20 pm

Why not join the SEC? It makes more sense for SEC members. The Big XII doesn't need SMU for Tex. recruiting but the SEC west could sure benefit form Texas exposure. Especially Arkansas.

Also, the SEC gets some inroads into a larger TV market (Dallas is in the top 10).

If the Big XII wants another Baylor type doormat, then we might fit the bill. If a conference wants to benefit form the demographics SMU has, then the SEC makes more sense.

IMHO, I don't think we are going anywhere.
ponyte

PreviousNext

Return to Football