PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is the best HS football player you have ever seen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who is the best HS football player you have ever seen

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jun 05, 2000 10:27 pm

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, judging by the many days since the last post. Also think its a little unlikely anyone will remember the person I'll name, but these are the facts I recall.

In about '55 - '56, old Crozier Tech High had a transfer, Johnny Giardin (I think his name was) off the the streets of NYC. Not sure which borough, probably the Bronx, but maybe Brooklyn. I don't think he had played FB before but was a fierce sophomore DL until breaking a leg. Next year he was better, got into a fight with Lynch at Dal-Hi one night and was winning (to the surprise of many) until the police stopped it. Lynch visited the City after his junior year, got in trouble, and the judge gave him the choice of military service or jail. Giardin enlisted, or so we heard.

Giardin would have been a smallish college player, even 45 years ago, although I remember several small SMU guards such as Beale, Hawk, etc. As a HS competitor he was near the top.

Anybody remember this guy? Do I have the name right? Giardin might have been a sophomore when James Farmer, a OG-LB-PK who played at A&M was a senior, or the year after.
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football