PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is the best HS football player you have ever seen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who is the best HS football player you have ever seen

Postby smudad » Wed May 03, 2000 6:21 pm

I do remember that indeed. It was the talk in the stands how Coach Royal was either going somewhere to kill himself or to the sidelines to do some harm to someone else- all kidding of course. But it did seem to alter substantially, Baer's college career.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Wed May 03, 2000 9:10 pm

Rayburn,
Where was Bellard before going to TAMU? Breckinridge or Brackinridge (San Antonio) or ? If at Breckinridge that must have been earlier?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rayburn » Wed May 03, 2000 11:41 pm

Can't remember the dates but Emory started at Ingleside down near Corpus then moved up to Breckenridge, Texas then out to San Angelo before going to Texas then on to A&M, Mississippi State and finished at Westfield High in Spring near Houston. Great coach, terrific man.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hotel California » Fri May 05, 2000 11:09 am

Odell James was a total badass in high school. He has not done too much in college, but in high school he was GOD!
Hotel California
Recruit

Postby MustangMatt » Sat May 06, 2000 10:51 pm

Rayburn,
You are a great resource. I would like to see your resume, where you coached, played, scouted, etc. I think everyone would like to see where you have been. It is great to have you on the board!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Sun May 07, 2000 8:52 am

Webbie, I agree with you that Rayburn's resume would be of interest. Also, I wish there was some way this, "...best HS player..." thread could be retained for review, but that a new could be started so that it would be easier to scroll to the bottom, and new information.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sun May 07, 2000 8:55 am

Rayburn, a new question for you please. What did QB Malcolm Bowers lack to be an effective college player?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Guest » Sun May 07, 2000 11:15 am

No Quarter-

There are two things that I could do.

1. Close this thread, and it put it in the archives.

2. Break it off into pages....

In fact, I will do that right now, and if you would rather archive it, let me know.

Postby No Quarter » Sun May 07, 2000 6:58 pm

Pages, as you have done is fine. I hope the page break will let previous readers to get to end quicker. I'm not sure what most of this topic has to do with SMU football, but it is/has been fun and RAYBURN IS GREAT.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rayburn » Tue May 09, 2000 8:40 pm

I appreciate the kind words. I think my era of football (late 1940s to the mid-70s) were terrific years. Sadly, not too many people around who even remember some of the names we have bandied around here.

Now you'll have to forgive me, but I never actually saw Mal Bowers play. He was wrapping up by the time I was just getting to SMU but I'd have to say that overall lack of any talent whatsoever really held Bowers back as far as being a top-notch signal caller.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Thu May 11, 2000 1:28 am

Can anybody relate the circumstances of a case of highschool recruiting in Texas or another state - or has the statute of limitations not expired?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Thu May 11, 2000 6:49 pm

Rayburn, Thanks for the reply about Malcom Bowers. I think he had been a HS "player of the year," but maybe only in Dallas County or something and I'm still chuckling at your comment. Robert Burgess was at SMU about the same time. Would you put him in the same boat?

New name? Did you ever meet anyone who knew and/or saw play 1930's Waco High TB John Paul Jones, sometimes referred to as the best Texas schoolboy of all time? Every few years there is another Texas Football article on him and I suppose newspaper pieces that you would see living in Texas. (I suspect several later players who've been mentioned in this series are equally deserving.)
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rayburn » Fri May 12, 2000 1:04 am

No Quarter: I'm glad you took my post as intended. After I made it I became aware that you might have thought I was serious and taken offense because Mal was your daddy or something.

I remember Billy Lee Burgess, he was another Dallas boy but he was a freshman in 1954 with Jerry Cornelison and that bunch, if I recall. can't recall a thing about him talent-wise and I want to say he left the team after awhile.

The 1930's are too far back for me. I was just a babe. But the Waco player I always heard and read about was Booty Johnson from way back in the 1920s
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Fri May 12, 2000 4:03 am

Rayburn, Thanks for the response. I think Booty Johnson and the John Paul Jones I named are the same and I'm off on the years as well as the name. I spoke to a guy with a Baylor or Waco connection once about the player, but like me and perhaps you he had only read about Johnson. S' a little much to expect a contemporary of that guy (Johnson) to be 'net active but I am hoping to see a reply from someone with memories other than Texas Football, etc.

I've never been sure whether you were active or retired. Where would we go to see your team play this year?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rayburn » Tue May 16, 2000 5:04 pm

Sorry to say that I left coaching in the 1970s to make a little money in the oil business. Tried to get back into it in the mid-80s but couldn't do it without having to travel. My wife didn't want that so I quit trying.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football