PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Guess Who

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Guess Who

Postby doby » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:39 pm

Can you name a player past or current that was not redshirted, never missed a game as a three year starter, sometime captain, always upbeat through difficult times, led conference in his position, but not voted to 1st or 2nd team by other coaches in conference(twice)and will graduate in May. As signing day nears for high schoolers, we realized how fast it has gone by. He was reluctant to commit early and with exception of a few times, we are glad he did. He has received an excellent education and been around great people. We are proud of you and Good Luck in front of the pros! By the way, his name is John Hampton #86.

GO MUSTANGS!

Past, present, and future.....
doby

Re: Guess Who

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:40 pm

Hats off to Hamp - what a great Mustang.

Has he been invited to the NFL Combine?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Mickey » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:51 pm

He was my favorite. Hope he enjoyed his time at SMU. It will pay off in the end.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:53 pm

How would he look in a Dallas uniform? They haven't had a tight end who's worth anything since Novacek. Hamp could be a great fit, depending on what offense the Tuna runs.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:58 pm

While it would be GREAT for Hampton to stay in Dallas and continue the S.M.U. exposure away from The Hilltop, I have to put in my vote for him to 'come south' and play for the HOUSTON TEXANS! He'd still be in Texas and it would still give exposure to the S.M.U. program in the pros! Besides, Dallas is turning out to be a team of criminals and low-lifes. So far, the Texans are acting more like AMERICA'S TEAM than the Pokes have in years!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby boulevard bum » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:26 am

You just stereotyped an entire team because of the actions of a few. Emmitt had nothing to do with any of that. Neither did Woodson. Anyway, real Texans wear blue, white and silver. Everyone knows that. And just because the NFL hasn't caught them doesn't mean the Texans don't have a few bad eggs themselves. When Dallas got caught in all that drug stuff everyone was investigating them trying to dig up dirt on the best team in the league at the time. No one has ever had a stretch like ours in the early nineties. If they had investigated every NFL team like they did the Cowboys it would have been very sad. These things happen all the time to other teams. People just like to rag on the boys. Will you still support the Texans when they move to another state? Football towns don't just pop up over night. Pretty soon attendance will be bad enough for yet another move. I wonder what they'll do with Reliant?
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>While it would be GREAT for Hampton to stay in Dallas and continue the S.M.U. exposure away from The Hilltop, I have to put in my vote for him to 'come south' and play for the HOUSTON TEXANS! He'd still be in Texas and it would still give exposure to the S.M.U. program in the pros! Besides, Dallas is turning out to be a team of criminals and low-lifes. So far, the Texans are acting more like AMERICA'S TEAM than the Pokes have in years!
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wouldn't get any exposure with the Texans because they won't have a game on TV next year. Their offense is horrible... until Houston gets a running back, they aren't going anywhere. Ask the Dolphins.

By the way, how many criminals can you name on the Cowboys (and don't count Mr. Hit and Run, he was going to get his arse cut anyway)?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby rogershealy » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:18 am

Hamp is going to the NFL combine and so are 5 other mustangs. Cardwell, Freeman, KG, Vic and I can not think of the other. Anyway, congrats to all these dudes for putting in 4 hard years of work. I cant wait to tell people I have a good friend in the NFL. Go ponies and Hamp cant play for the Texans bc Carr went to Fresno and we all hate fresno.
Thats all i have to say about that
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:42 am

Sept. 8, 2002

HOUSTON TEXANS 19
DALLAS COWBOYS 10

'NUFF SAID!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:26 am

HELL YEAH MrMustang1965!
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Lefty » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:38 am

Good point, '65. If Hampton were to come down to the Texans, and become one of those training camp media darlings, think how many times he could do interviews in SMU gear and tout the promise of Coach Bennett and his staff. He could be a recruiting tool in the Houston area! And the Texans do need a tight end with Hampton's hands.

OK, he's fast - real fast. But how did Freeman score an invite to the Combine?
Lefty
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:30 pm

I'd gladly lose to the Texans every year as long as they would'nt make me move to Houston.
gostangs

Return to Football