PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Uniforms now on SMU website ***

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Uniforms now on SMU website ***

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:47 pm

not bad......will take some use to...hope that red/orange color is red or crimson & not orangy like the picture shows - probably just the lighting......

i love the gray pants - reminds me of yester-year!!! a little tradition is good for the soul!

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 02-06-2003).]

BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: New Uniforms now on SMU website ***

Postby FWMustang » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:56 pm

I like 'em!!! I wasn't quite sure how the helmet was going to turn out, but the Mustang does show up. The grey pants look like alighter version of the NY Giants. I'm glad they are not that shiney silver. Good job, Ed!!!

And, after looking at it more, they have done a great job of incorporating the blue & red. Probably for the first time in a long while. It's been either red or blue mostly for as long as I've been paying attention to SMU.

Good job, Coaches, on the new class!!! Can't wait 'til season starts.

[This message has been edited by FWMustang (edited 02-06-2003).]
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:04 pm

Ed is a pimp...and the greatest boss I've ever worked for Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:19 pm

Ugh. The helmets are worse than I feared.

We look like a 2A high school team.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:35 pm

You old guys are so obsessed with tradition and the classic look...seriously, these new uni's are awesome. Take the time to get used to them...the blue is our ACTUAL color..althought the red isn't too crimson...Compare the old and new uni's side by side. Everyone here I've showed (who have never heard of SMU), have loved the new uni's. I just wish I could watch next season from the stands of Ford Stadium Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:56 pm

I think the helmets are hideous, but that's just my opinion. And I'll be happy as long as we win.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>You old guys are so obsessed with tradition and the classic look...seriously, these new uni's are awesome. Take the time to get used to them...the blue is our ACTUAL color..althought the red isn't too crimson...Compare the old and new uni's side by side. Everyone here I've showed (who have never heard of SMU), have loved the new uni's. I just wish I could watch next season from the stands of Ford Stadium Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The REAL colors are harvard crimson and yale blue....... seems to me the helmets are way too dark to be yale blue, as seen at <A HREF="http://www.yale.edu......." TARGET=_blank>www.yale.edu.......</A> although the helmets are much better looking than I expected. It gives the team a meaner look.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PK » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Navy&Crimson:
<B>not bad......will take some use to...hope that red/orange color is red or crimson & not orangy like the picture shows - probably just the lighting......

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The red when seen in person is a lot more crimson with no orangy overtones and doesn't jump out at you as much as it does in the pictures. I'll be curious to see them in the daylight...but basically I like the new look.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:12 pm

I LOVE the new uniforms! And I'm a Mustang from WAAAAAAYYYYYY back! (Been attending the games since I was a toddler in the late 50s!)
If some of you want to get your hands on some 'collector's items', go to <A HREF="http://www.ebay.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ebay.com</A> and look for the soon-to-be 'old' helmets and jerseys!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby OldPony » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:13 pm

They are cool and OP knows cool!!.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:16 pm

Note to DFFH: I don't know of ANY 2-A high school in the state of Texas that could afford a uniform that looks like this! Please let us know which school(s) you are referring to! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Dirty Bird » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:27 pm

They're cool unis, but they look like Ole Miss ripoffs.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby Jim Rome » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:27 pm

Come on, FreiburgerFH! You don't like this look?
I think it's pretty sweet
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanFreibergerForHeisman:
<B>Ugh. The helmets are worse than I feared.

We look like a 2A high school team.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay okay..I don't like the helmets either but high school helmets are no different from pro or college. I'm sick of that argument. I've seen high school helmets exactly like the broncos helmets. I've seen high school helmets exactly like the Wisconsin and Purdue helmets. There is not difference. It's just the individuality of the school. The problem I have with the helmets is they don't seem to match the uniform. Then again A&M's helmets are darker than their jerseys too so I guess it doesn't matter. Anyway, I loved the white helmet and now it's gone. Oh well..maybe it will be back. I do like the grey pants although they look white to me in the picture. I wish we had white pants to go with our white jerseys but I guess we wanted to copy Ole Miss.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:06 pm

The grey pants are a very, very light shade of grey and do almost look white, but not so stark. They also have a little bit of a shine to them.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Football