PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Challenge to PonyFans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Challenge to PonyFans

Postby PonyPower » Wed Sep 06, 2000 1:30 pm

I've clicked on 29 different ad banners this morning. From what the webmasters say, this helps the site, so we ALL need to do our part, because this site is great, and we need to keep it going. Anyone hit more ads than 29?
PonyPower
All-American

Re: Challenge to PonyFans

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Sep 07, 2000 1:30 pm

I just clicked on a couple.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:27 pm

Today I've hit 23, I think, and looking for more!
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby SMU00 » Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:37 pm

I've hit 18. How many are there?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:55 am

Monday morning: 21 and counting!

Keep up the great work, PonyFans.com.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:21 pm

Monday = 22 ads clicked!

Has anyone beaten me? Keep going - this site is GREAT!

Go Ponies - beat the hell out of Tulane!
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby One Pony » Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:24 pm

I'm not going to click on any ads until I hear a satisfactory explanation for the decision not to allow my post regarding the search for a new head coach.

Not only was my post not allowed, there are no posts on this board re: the problems this program is facing. If the moderators of this site envision a place that serves only as a mouthpiece for the current SMU administration, then I think we all need to know that. It is a shame that they do not understand the benefits of a more open forum.

I am a very strong supporter of SMU athletics and I think that the over-the-line comments that you find on some sites are irresponsible and immature. But I also firmly believe that open and honest discussion about the negatives can, in fact, lead to positive solutions.

Any fan that sits back while their cherished program slips closer and closer to Div. II is, to me, not a fan at all.
One Pony

Postby One Pony » Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:40 pm

Let me say one more thing -- despite my discontent regarding the excessive control on this message board, I do think that the site's creators have done an overall good job. I commend you for taking your time to put together a quality, informative site.

All I ask is that you don't let it go to waste by putting a stranglehold on the posts. We are all adults, even if some don't act like it. I would hope that everyone is resilient enough to handle the harsh words that some dissatisfied fans may utter.

And a note to the parents who post on this site. Please know that the bulk of us do understand the effort that your sons put in to represent SMU and do not be dissuaded by the immature posts that target the players. Those of us that have been a part of and followed this program know that the fault does not rest with the players.
One Pony

Postby MustangMatt » Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by One Pony:
<B>I'm not going to click on any ads until I hear a satisfactory explanation for the decision not to allow my post regarding the search for a new head coach.

Not only was my post not allowed, there are no posts on this board re: the problems this program is facing. If the moderators of this site envision a place that serves only as a mouthpiece for the current SMU administration, then I think we all need to know that. It is a shame that they do not understand the benefits of a more open forum.

I am a very strong supporter of SMU athletics and I think that the over-the-line comments that you find on some sites are irresponsible and immature. But I also firmly believe that open and honest discussion about the negatives can, in fact, lead to positive solutions.

Any fan that sits back while their cherished program slips closer and closer to Div. II is, to me, not a fan at all.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One Pony-
We are not trying to argue with you, but please understand, we are protective of this website and this is our opinion on the matter...

We are sorry that it has taken so long to figure this out. We have three moderators, all of which are very busy. We run this site, have jobs, and are students. We appreciate your patience with this. I am sorry. Yes, your post was deleted. Your post was taken down by one of the moderators, and after speaking to him; he says he probably jumped the gun on it. Please understand, we are new at this and we are learning every day. We invite you to re-post your opinion, taking into account, if you have something negative to say, please make sure you have something constructive to say. If you have a problem, please provide your solution. We know that negatives lead to positives, but we feel the only way that happens is if there is something to base an argument around.

First, let me say, this board is not “a mouthpiece for the current SMU administration.” It is true that you do not find a lot of posts about what is wrong with SMU, and all of the negative characteristics of SMU athletics. This is not the work of the moderators. We do not have a “stranglehold” on the message board. Our rules are simple, if you have something to say about SMU—that is constructive and mature—post it. If you don’t, it will be deleted.

I found it hard to believe myself that this board is so positive, but after thinking about it, here is why. On other boards, you do not have to register to post a message; so in effect, you have people coming on and writing one sentence and never coming back, or people that have nothing worthwhile or positive to say, and they post it, without any registration hassles. Here, if they want to talk trash and state worthless negative comments, they have to go through a routine of registering, which they do not do. Also, the majority of the members on PonyFans.com are parents, past players, and alumni. These are the die-hard fans that support SMU. If they criticize, it is constructive.

I am telling the truth when I say, we have removed around ten posts. I, myself, have removed 4. These posts were people talking trash to each other, nothing of which concerned SMU athletics. If people want a place to post unrelated messages, this is not it.

We are not trying to supply Pony Fans with a surreal message board. As long as your post is worthwhile and mature, we do not delete it.

We believe that the positive environment at PonyFans.com is a great aspect of our website that has “just happened.” Yes, we want it positive, but no we have not made it positive, the PonyFans have done that. It shows a lot about the true fans at SMU!

I cannot stress enough how relaxed we have been with moderation. The visitors of this site who see posts several times a day will tell you that they rarely see a post deleted. We are happy, and proud, that we do not have to check the posts every half hour. We can go through a day not worrying if someone has posted a flame or trash. I ask you to rethink your opinion of our message board.

Thank you,

Matt Gordon
Webmaster, Ponyfans.com

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 09-18-2000).]
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:33 pm

Also...
PonyFans, we would not be here without you. We want your opinion. If you all ever have a problem, please let us know. The site gets better with your input.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby ole jim » Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:26 pm

Good response MustangMatt.

You and your co-horts do a geat job.

Keep it up!
ole jim
Recruit

Postby PonyExpress » Tue Sep 19, 2000 5:11 pm

I agree with Old Jim. This is a great site, and you guys do a very good job trying to keep things fair. Nobody wants to drive away one of the PonyFans, so I'm glad you and OnePony have worked out your differences. We are all SMU PonyFans, and we need to keep EVERY member of the whole herd together. Remember, the reason we come to this site is because we care about the athletes and teams at SMU, and we need to be as large and vocal a group as possible. OnePony, you are one of us and always will be.

So I have an additional challenge for PonyFans: In addition to clicking ads every day and wearing the PonyFans.com shirt as often as possible, how about this: Every PonyFan should spread the word to friends and family who want to support this site. Most of us are students or graduates of SMU -- therefore we all know other students and alums. If not (for example if you're a friend or family member of an SMU student-athlete), then chances are you know others who would like to read up on that player and his or her athletic team. TELL those people and help them get signed up.

I'm going to make it a personal goal to bring on at least one new member with me every week, and get them registered and reading about SMU athletics. Who will do it with me?

[This message has been edited by PonyExpress (edited 09-19-2000).]
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Return to Football