PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: QB Question

Postby PX » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:36 pm

Anyone who saw our games this year knows Tate needs to change his throwing motion, and that has nothing to with the other players on the team. I like Tate, too, but that low release point and 3/4 delivery angle got deflected, intercepted, and run back for touchdowns more times than I really want to ever see again.

Richard Bartel is the starting QB. Maybe someone will beat him out eventually, but right now its his job and I never had any complaints last year about how he did his job. The 2 freshmen should both be redshirted. They are coming from small schools and the jump from 3A or TAPPS to Div. 1 college ball is a big one. Give them a year to learn the system and adjust to the speed and size of the players around them before you think about throwing them into the fire.
PX
Varsity

Postby In Tate We Trust » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:26 pm

I've heard Wallis and Hodges are both moving to tight end. But I don't know for sure.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby five o » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:17 pm

Haha you're funny, but this ain't Mrs. Wallis. I guess that's how you came up with a name like Doobie being so funny and all.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dooby:
<B>Thanks, Mrs. Wallis. I am sure your son is a fine young man.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
five o

Postby Dooby » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:09 pm

The point is, it is difficult for someone to come on this board days after Bennett brings in the best recruiting class since the death penalty and suggest that Bennett needs to go. It is also difficult for someone to come on this board and suggest that Wallis should be the starter after going 0-7 as a starter, when Bartel went 3-2 after Wallis was replaced.

Wallis may very well end up being the starter if, as Bennett said, everybody will have the opportunity to play for the starting QB position. After all, Bartel never looked very good in practice. But to suggest that Wallis should be the presumed starter when he hasn't shown anybody anything is just ridiculous.

I'll admit Wallis was placed in a difficult, if not impossible, position. You can't expect much success from a redshirt freshman QB who was supposed to be playing tight end and happened to lose the best receiver on the team and the starting running back before the season even started. I know that is hard. But in the end, with the same team, Bartel went 3-2; Wallis 0-7. Also, Bartel beat Wallis in every statistical category, except rushing.

You can come on here and proclaim Wallis the best QB if you wish, but it looks rather foolish. Wallis has to show a lot more to a lot more people, before that sounds like a credible opinion.

That being said, if Wallis turns out to be the best option at QB next year, great. I'll be pulling for him.

[This message has been edited by Dooby (edited 02-14-2003).]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:36 pm

First off, as posted before, the plan is to move Wallis back to TE, so it's largely a moot point.

But PX is right... Wallis supposedly looked better in practice (if for no other reason than Bartel tended to make mental mistakes), but in game situations Wallis? release point got progressively lower and lower. I know the coaches tried to coach this tendency out of him, but they were unsuccessful. In many cases, when stating that Wallis? release point was at 3/4 position, PX is being very generous.

I don?t know much about Wallis? high school career, but I suspect his might be one of those cases where high school coaches tend to put their best athlete at QB because that?s where their athleticism has the most impact. Wallis runs the option well, but until he irons out his throwing motion, he?s a liability throwing the ball.

Whatever you might think about ?gamers? and that whole argument about when Bartel should have started, you must admit the proof is in the numbers. Right now, Bartel is our best QB by a wide margin.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:23 pm

Is Wallis going to TE or Hodges? The DMN said Hodges was the one going to TE.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:32 pm

My understanding - for whatever that is worth - is that BOTH are moving to TE.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:26 am

Re: the comments about Wallis going 0-7 and Bartel 3-2, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bartel go down early in one of those final games and Wallis actually QB'd the team to a win?

I agree Wallis is better of at another position. I still remember the 1st ofensive play of the Navy game when he threw to the tailback running laterally on what looked like it could have been a big gainer...except the throw was rushed, thrown too hard and behind the receiver. The rest of that night is too painful to remember.

Bartel proved what he could do and need to be "the man" this spring. Then we'll see if the incoming Frosh can push him for playing time.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mickey » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:21 am

My guess is Bartel will end up being the starter next year with Wallis as the back up. We can't have another year playing an inexperienced QB if Bartel goes down. At least Wallis has experience. He also came in and led us in a win against (Tulsa or UTEP?).

I think the staff would like to RS both Meeks and Phillips. Probably one or both of them will suit up and be available if both Bartel and Wallis get injured.

Wallis will be the holder for place kicks the next 3 years. He will be moved to TE/H-Back, the position Cavan signed him for, after next year when they take the RSs off Meeks and Phillips. Hodges will be moved to TE this spring

I doubt if they recruit a QB next year as they will have Bartel, Meeks, and Phillips as QB's for 04. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years in the competition between Meeks and Phillips. If Phillips wins out, then Meeks will be the back up and the best back up QB golfer in the nation. If Meeks wins out, Phillips might be moved to another position,probably TE.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:00 pm

what your forgetting is that if Bartel gets hurt we'll suck anyway-might as well build for the future at that point anyway-that way you won't be stuck with an inexperienced QB in 2004-and in addition you will give Wallis a chance to help the team at position more suitable to his talents. As for that sidearm delivery I think it is true that Wallis has a release problem but then I heard an interview with Jeff Garcia which described how a professional QB needs to develop a throwing motion from several different release points. Interesting but certainly with downfield throws you'd prefer a higher release.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:37 pm

I agree that if Bartel gets hurt, one of the redshirts must come off. The only way I see Wallis going through 2003 as the backup QB is if Bartel proves he can make it through the full schedule playing every game. If Bartel improves on last year's effort, let's hope he can survive the season so we can bring Meeks and Phillips along the way real college football programs do...with a RS Fr year to learn the system and get exposed to the speed of the college game.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football