PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: QB Question

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:35 pm

Hot dog! I think I can chime in with a knowledgeable response for once.

I went to and played for TAPPS 5A powerhouse TCA (who has won probably a have dozen state championships in the 25 odd years of its existence), who lost to Bishop Lynch in one of the state finals this year. My guess is that the average TAPPS 5A class has around 150-200 students in it. So size-wise I guess it'd be comparable to a 2A or 3A public school.

The only possible difference is that TCA, and by extension Bishop Lynch, Jesuit, St. Marks and the rest, have excellent coaches and facilities for their size. This hasn't always been the case, but these days, I think a good athlete coming from a TAPPS school can be as good of a player as one from larger public schools. In my day, we had a lot of kids who'd go on and have productive careers at Abilene Christian, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc., but I can't think of anyone who starred at UT or Notre Dame.

I think the difference lies in pure statistics. If, for instance, you find one good athlete out of every 100 kids, logic tells you that Plano is going to have a 10 good athletes on their team as compared to TCA that might only have one. So the main difference is depth of quality.

I think those who saw Bishop Lynch vs. HP would agree. Phillips probably could have played HP competitively, but he didn't have the size and quality in his supporting cast.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:55 pm

I wasn't implying in any way that Meeks won't be a solid QB - I think he is going to be outstanding!

However, I think Mobility takes you a long way when you are trying to run a new offense and playing at a higher level. That is why I think Phillips will play sooner than Meeks. I also think that Bennett likes a mobile QB. Bartel is a pocket passer, adn Tate is his mobile QB. So I think if he removes the mobile QB out of the rotation, he will replace that QB with someone mobile. Meeks looks to be more agile than Bartel, but I think Phillips will be able to buy a little more time in the pocket, which will help the slow progressions that frosh QBs tend to go through.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:09 pm

As a graduate of St Marks, I would say Bishop Lynch FB is roughly similar to 3A Ball-some of their competition maybe more like 2A Ball. However, I agree with JasonB that one of the two Freshman will likely be groomed as the chief backup and the other will Redshirt-but I wouldn't give either a particular advantage over the other. Also, Bartel will be given every opportunity to keep both Freshman off the field.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:52 am

I agree the QB job is Bartel's to lose, but it won't bother me to see one of the Frosh step up and take the job. If that happens, it just means we've upgraded the position and we all know that needs to happen for the Mustangs to be better offensively. Bartel will have a big advantage having played a few games last year and will be "the guy" this spring, so let's hope it's going to be tough for anyone to unseat him.

I can only see Wallis in the mix if Bartel clearly establishes himself as the starter and shows he's durable enough to play every game next year. As Bennett said, you don't want to blow Meeks or Phillips' RS if they are only going to play occasionally as back-ups. Wallis could be the emergency back-up as he was at the end of last year.
Charleston Pony

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:58 pm

You people amaze me. Bartel throws for 300 and 3 td's against La Tech and you all decide that he does have what it takes, and now simply because there are new faces in the picture you all just say "Out with the old, in with the new." Obviously you know where I stand and after seeing Richard play last year I am shocked to see the things being said. You mention that he is not mobile but I recall numerous plays that he made where he bought time by scrambling and made throws that gained good yardage. He even ran the option for positive yards a few times, although that is not his strength. In my opinion, the offensive philosophy needs to change to fit the personnel. With Cunningham coming back, Jay Taylor, Trey Griffin, Daniel Francis, and even Vinson, you have plenty of talent to rin a four wide set and sling the ball. Not to mention you have the QB to get it to them. You can then open it up on the ground with your stable of great backs. The option shouldnt even be a factor. But whatever, either way, Bartel is the clear starter, and will be until he graduates. And as for this summer, expect to see him in Dallas getting ready for next season. Where once again I will be proved right.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:46 pm

For those with a brief memory of SMU seasons past where other teams stack the line and stuff the run and put incredible pressure on the QB, the option is one of THE ways to relieve that pressure. I believe it needs to be part of the play book for that reason alone.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:49 pm

If a true freshman QB starts for SMU this year we will lose 10 games. Period. End of discussion.
Nacho

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:32 pm

By running the 4 wide offense you force the D out of that "stuff the line" mentality, or you make them pay for it with quick hitting routes, until they back off and respect the pass, at which point you let Keylon and Co. go wild. I highly doubt there is a defense you will play that would be able to stick 7 or 8 guys in the box if you come out with 4 wide.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:47 pm

I don't know about that. If I was a Defensive Coordinator, and Wallis was in the game, I would zone blitz and find a way to stick 9 guys in the box, no matter how many receivers were on the field Image.

Bartel is the man, but I want one of the frosh to back him up for two reasons. First, they will be better than Wallis. And second, I want to seperate them by a year.
JasonB

Postby Ikus » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:26 pm

The option will remain in the play book, if for no other reason than the fact that Phil Bennett is still our coach and he likes the option. A lot.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:58 am

Personally, I wish they'd do away with the option. The best we looked all year was against LaTech, when we threw the ball frequently, including on early downs. I hope the promises the coaches made to recruits about opening up the offense with 3-WR and 4-WR sets are true.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby five o » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Hey PonyGrad, first of all you can't improve in passing unless you pass the ball. The only plays that Bennett knows are run left, or run right. If Wallis is ever going to get the chance to throw, and show everyone what he is capable of, he will have to quit playing for Bennett. Personally I would rather see them get rid of Bennett. One more thing, Wallis doesn't need to improve in passing, he just needs better players to pass to. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The PonyGrad:
<B>Is a Bennett quote somewhere, maybe on one of the QB recruit pages, that all four would be considered as possible starters. That is: Bartel, Wallis, Meeks, and Phillips.

So to answer you question it appears Wallis will be given a chance but that looks like a formality to me barring some amazing improvement in his passing.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
five o

Postby Dooby » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:46 pm

Thanks, Mrs. Wallis. I am sure your son is a fine young man.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby In Tate We Trust » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:00 pm

I hear Wallis will be a backup tight end this year. I'm not positive, but that's the word on the street.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:03 pm

The DMN had Hodges going to TE. Was that a typo? Wallis seems like a good fit at TE to me, especially since he played there on the scout team as a freshman.
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Football