PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Earl Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Earl Morris

Postby MesquiteStang » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:23 pm

Fromk what i heard earl was arrested for selling movie's to the football guy thats he got from a friend at Blockbuster. And from what else i hear hyatt was in the blockbuster when it happened..but even if that isn't true i am also concerned with the full back position. Last year toward the end of the season bennet put luke pappas in the fullback position and he was pretty good in there. do you think he is a possibility?
MesquiteStang

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:29 pm

I'm not going to dignify an answer to that last post.

As for Keylon, I'm sure he'll get his shot. Who knows where he'll end up.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:19 am

Also, don't forget that Massey's coach said that he needed to work on his blocking, so moving Kincaid to FB might be easier in the short term than Massey. I still don't think we will use many two back sets this year, but when we do, it could be more of a two HB set than a HB/FB set.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:16 pm

Based on this conversation, I hope we never use a two-back offense. Making KK a fullback is sheer insanity. People, the guy had a huge year rushing the ball! And he's not built for every-down blocking. And there's no way they're going to waste Massey as a fullback. I see a lot of four-WR sets with a rotating SINGLE back. I hope....
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:33 pm

Didn't Earl Campbell play fullback in the UT wishbone attack? Or if we have a one back formation, many prototypical fullbacks have done well at that position (John Riggins thrived in it). Having a fullback who can grind it out and a tailback who can break a big one would be a nice combination. Kincaid and Charles (if he's healthy) would certainly give our passing game a little bit of room.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Otto » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:34 pm

Can someone explain to me why there's even a discussion about moving Keylon Kincade to fullback?

While we're at it, are we going to ask Richard Bartel to rush the passer and Sterling Harris to punt?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:05 pm

I don't understand why there are so many people up in arms about the thought of KK moving to fullback or another RB getting a shot. I know the guy had a lot of yards last year and he's a hard worker, but i seem to recall a lot of 1, 2 and 3 yard runs last year. If he were averaging 5 or 6 yards a carry i could see your point, but the numbers he put up were not spectacular by any means.

If you want to develop players for the future, Charles, Barnett and maybe Massey need some PT.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby PX » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:29 pm

There's not much point in developing Barnett at tailback if he is being moved to the defensive secondary. And for Charles... I dont get the feeling he is the type of running back that Bennet favors. It looks like our offense is predicated on more of a straight ahead runner, not a scatback type.
PX
Varsity

Postby RedRiverPony » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:57 pm

Kincade ran 327 times for 1,279 yards. That comes to an average of 3.9113149847 yards per carry. That might not be Eric Dickerson-like numbers, but it's still pretty darn good.

I'd say Kincade should start, with ShanD and Massey as his backups. Fred Turner will be the fastest redshirt in history.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:11 pm

the fact is that the yardage is GREAT but the per carry average is probably in the lower 25% of all NCAA primary Runningbacks for Division 1 schools.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:27 pm

Stats: of the top 100 rushes in Div. IA only 3 had a yards per rush lower than KK.

That's just the way it is.

So, no knock on KK but if you are looking to improve the performance of your team it is a logical place to look. There should be no sacred cows.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:09 pm

When discussing KK's yards per carry, I think it is only fair to keep in mind the quality of the offensive line. With a good one, a 2,000 yard season was very much in reach.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Troup32 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:16 pm

Exactly! He did a lot of that on his own last year. He'll do even better in 2003.
Troup32
Scout Team

Postby McAndless » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:33 pm

There really is no need for such a stupid argument. KK will be the starting running back, barring injury, and hopefully Massey can contribute early on, and at best, get a larger share by the end of the year. The ridiculous argument that KK should play fullback, however is not valid in anyway. You need two good running backs regardless, and if we have three of them, that's even better. BUT, KK is not a fullback. He doesn't have the bulk, blocking ability, style, etc to play the hardest position on the field. And if you're all speculating anyway, start pondering Luke Pappas in the fullback position. When the scout teams scrimmaged last season, he threw his body around and showed signs of a real fullback, so if the offense even uses a fullback next year, it could very well be Pappas.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:48 am

For an idea of where 3.9 per carry ranks among other NCAA backs, check out:

<A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?stat=rush&group=80&year=2002&sort=ypc" TARGET=_blank>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?stat=rush&group=80&year=2002&sort=ypc</A>

3.9 isn't even good in the NFL.
StangEsq
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football