PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Earl Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Earl Morris

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:24 pm

Is anyone else concerned about his departure? Sounds like we have one fullback left - Darron Brown. He's good, but he's a little undersized, and life as a human battering ram can be a little hazardous to your health.

Who else will play fullback? Despite his strength, I'd hate to see Massey wasted there. Are we moving someone else to fullback?

Why did Morris leave?

Re: Earl Morris

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:53 pm

Don't know why he left, but I'm right there with you on the concern element. Darron Brown is a workhorse, but there's no guarantee he'll survive the season uninjured. We clearly need another fullback.

Based on his picture alone, how about letting Zach Hall run both ways? Or D.D. Lee? They're both strong, physical guys who can run and seem to love contact.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:32 pm

I wouldn't doubt if Massey gets time at FB. Brown is fine...Morris really didn't get a lot of time anyway and probably never would have. Best of luck to him at SHSU where he'll be able to really contribute!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:51 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that a 3 and 4 wide reciever set was sold to the recruits this year. I think that after a year of learning the system, the Mustangs will be opening the offense up a little bit more. We may not see as many two back sets this year, and when we do, it very well may be with Kincaid and Charles as the backs. Also, Massey is easily strong enough to back Derron up at fullback.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:59 pm

...I think that's right-what percentage of the time is our FB on the field. SMU needs to improve its team anyway it can-we should recruit at a much higher level than we have in the past so hopefully its to our benefit to use the players who can win NOW! Of course, nobody has said it but we have a prototype FB right now-Keylon Kincade.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:07 pm

He'll never be strong enough, Stallion. What makes you suggest he'd be a prototypical FB?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:48 pm

Not so fast, my friends!

No way Kincade ever gets big enough to play fullback. And are you really going to take the guy whoput up the third-highest number of rushing yards in a single season and ask him to block?

Neither is Coach Bennett.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:39 pm

Maybe Massey can play left tackle too. *grins* Perhaps Keylon could play FB, but I'm not certain of his blocking skills. Stallion?

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 02-08-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby McAndless » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:21 am

Stallion,
If Keylon is qualified to play fullback, Sterling Harris is a natural fit for the quarterback position. That's ridiculous. You're asking a player to play a totally different position in accordance to the offense but, for whatever reason, believe he can do it by some poor comparison you make. That is a slap in the face to Keylon Kincade, who just happens to be one of the hardest working, by-the-book, most unselfish players on the squad who has done nothing but work hard since he arrived on campus.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:21 am

Can't blame Morris for wanting to play, and he wasn't looking at any playing time as a Mustang. As Bennett & staff upgrade the talent pool, we will undoubtedly see more defections. As Stallion pointed out previously, we shouldn't worry about having only 10 scholarships to give next year. That number will easily become 15 or more by the time signing day 2004 rolls around.
Charleston Pony

Postby The PonyGrad » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McAndless:
<B>Stallion,
That is a slap in the face to Keylon Kincade, who just happens to be one of the hardest working, by-the-book, most unselfish players on the squad who has done nothing but work hard since he arrived on campus. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keylon has been great. He is durable and holds on to the ball. His is a grind it out guy and less of a game breaker though. Being unselfish means not considering a move to fullback as a slap in the face. This is something to really consider.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby ponytalk » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McAndless:
<B>...Keylon Kincade, who just happens to be one of the hardest working, by-the-book, most unselfish players on the squad who has done nothing but work hard since he arrived on campus. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are living in a dream world. Snap out of it.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:10 pm

...I really don't know what some of you people are talking about. Massey is probably the strongest skill position recruit in Division 1 Football. As for Kincade-he would not be a starting TB in most Division 1 major colleges because he doesn't have the break-away speed or elusiveness to play that position. I love Kincade and applauded him all year as the hardest working heart of our team. But lets not forget it took an unpredented number of carries for him to get that yardage with a comparatively POOR average of about 3.9 per carry. He has a fullback hardnosed punishing running style and is taller than all three FBs we used last year. Briggs, Brown, Morris were all recruited at Tailback not Fullback but were asked to move to Fullback too. If he were at just about any other school in Texas he would be used as a Fullback not Tailback.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-08-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:27 pm

While I won’t go so far as to come out and agree with Stallion, I should point our that if nothing else, Keylon has certainly proven that he can take abuse. He’s a bonafide workhorse.

At the FB position, I don’t really think height is a prerequisite. But I’m pretty sure we can all agree that strength is. Keylon is only a smidge over 200, so I don’t think he’d be considered a prototypical FB either.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Troup32 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:09 pm

Keylon has the ability to block - he always has. And he's a team player who will do whatever's asked of him. But he deserves to carry the ball until someone proves he's better.
Troup32
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football