PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Predicted Freshman Contributors

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Predicted Freshman Contributors

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:22 pm

Based on the relative lack of depth and yes talent on next year's team, I predict the following players are likely to make immediate contributions-Phillips or Meeks, Massey, Turner, Boren, Desmond Jones, Avery Cleveland, McGee and Sturdivant. Maybe Burley although he would be making a big jump from 2A so I doubt it. All these players appear to be headed for positions at which SMU has particular needs. This program needs to show improvement NOW. Part of Bennett's pitch is that kids can come to SMU and contribute early.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Predicted Freshman Contributors

Postby ponyte » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:42 pm

It takes time to rebuild a program. Ron Meyers went through it in the mid 70s. He was forced to use Freshmen early but the real success came after 2-3 years. It takes time to develope high school talent.

I expect Bennett will need that much time to develope this class as well.
ponyte

Postby The PonyGrad » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:41 am

What about all those players that redshirted this year. Does that impact some of the positions that will be open for the incoming freshmen? Which positions in particular?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:46 am

A lot is going to depend on whether last year's class can contribute. Will the Carrington/Karrington boys help at LB/DL? What about Guidry/Denman/Benson/Morton...will they contribute on the lines? Will "Happy" Gilmore be back at 100%? What kind of players will Jamar Bey and Ryan Kennedy be?

I don't mind being "young" one bit. Let's get the best 22 guys on the field and start winning. Then let's see if the SMU community responds and more than 10,000 come out to watch.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:26 pm

...I agree but let's all be patient with this class. Remember Eric Dickerson after an outstanding opening game against Rice where he ran for over 100 yards was essentially a 3rd string wash-out after his freshman year. But he had an outstanding year in his sophmore year. We may not win with these kids as freshman but I see solid improvement by the end of their Sophmore years and hopefully the team will blossom by their junior year. I'm am confident from Bennett's comments that he fully intends for a large number of recruits to contribute next year-it should be exciting and a little frustrating at the same time.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-08-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:08 pm

I agree with PonyGrad - the 2002 redshirts are going to make far more of an impact, or at least they need to. To that end, I'd sa Darrin Johnson, Martin Guidry, Brent Karrington and either Morton or Urbanus are vital this year.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:15 am

If I had my wish, these are who I would want to see:
- Massey is a backup running back and fullback.
- One of the QBs as the second string QB midway through the season, and the other redshirts to spread them out.
- A DT (jones possibly) to help depth.
- Possibly Sturdivant. Our safties will probably be better this year, after getting used to the schemes and now they are coached by Gush? It depends on if he is a strong saftey or free saftey; if he is a free saftey, I would like to see him redshirt because I like Harper back year.
- I think we will have two CBs that do not redshirt. We desperately need depth at this position, and McGee and possibly Turner/Moss will have a chance to play right away. Bad knee injuries often take at least two years to get over, so Gilmore may not be ready to play at full speed yet.
JasonB

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:45 pm

Hello again to all, and I'm sure I will be ruffling feathers in no time, but do you really think one of these Fr QB's is gonna unseat Bartel? Realistically? The guy backed up everything I said about him and pulled you guys out of the gutter at the end of the season. You'd be stupid not to let him build on that with a little more help at other offensive postions. Just my take, but you have to be outta your mind to think one of these freshmen will be better than Richard.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:13 pm

JustAFriend,

Slow down amigo and read the posts a little more carefully. Both here and on the other thread, the posters are talking about contributors not starters.

I think that almost everyone agrees that it would take something phenominal to unseat Bartel. What we're wondering is whether one of these freshmen is going to bump Wallis on the depth chart and what's the status of the 3 or 4 other QBs on the roster.

I seriously doubt any of these kids will start, but we have a lot of holes on the 2-deep roster and a lot of talent coming in this recruiting class.

Regarding Burley, he may only be accustomed to 2A competition, but he is big and strong... Perhaps already stronger than some of the kids we have at tackle. And, we may be thin at tackle. JD is gone and I don't know much about Morton and Urbanus. Haven't been real impressed with Neal to date, so I'd have to say that the left tackle spot might be up for grabs - both starter and backup - so we might very well see Burley on the 2-deep and maybe even on the field. Big question mark IMHO.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Ikus » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:16 pm

Is there any way we can suit up the new offensive line coach and let him play left tackle? Did you see the size of that guy at the Mustang Club gathering on Signing Day?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:31 pm

From what Bennett said he would like to see Pellerin contribute at WR.

Desmond Jones is the obvious major immediate contributor out of this class.

Massey is in kind of a log jam if ShanD is okay.

Picke'em at DB for some backup roles.

Warren as a punt returner? Have to wait and see.

Red-shirt them QBs boys. Aint no freshman QB ready to do anything but lose.
Nacho

Postby Ikus » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:18 pm

I bet McGee or Fred Turner or C.D. Moss could return punts. They're all extremely fast, and they're thicker than Warren. Then again, you can't hit what you can't catch, right?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby money » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:53 am

Boy! Am I glad you guys aren't calling the shots as to who will play next year. Have you guys even seen these athletes play? Some of them may surprise you. Just hold tight boys and all will be ok!

[This message has been edited by money (edited 02-14-2003).]
money

Return to Football