PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Football to drop out of D1 . . .

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU Football to drop out of D1 . . .

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:30 am

To Dallas Frog and TCU_Backer: "Forgive them, Lord...for they know not what they do!"

Come on over to OUR HOUSE on Nov. 29.

Now get your a** back on the other side of the Trinity River before your Momma gets worried about you and puts out an Amber Alert!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-12-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:56 am

From TCU_backer:

"you need to at least beat us once...."

We've beaten you 38 times. You've beaten us 38 times. We've tied 7 times. There are no bragging rights at this point.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby DallasFrog » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:56 am

Oh trust me, we'll be there, we love Ford Stadium. We've outscored you 100-17 there.
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:37 pm

hey tadpole,

it's 'defintely', not 'definately'

back to the pond, please...
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:39 pm

oops!

'definitely'

as in "i've definitely had enough of tcu for one lifetime"
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby abezontar » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:15 pm

Wow, Five straight bowl appearences and still no one in the Metroplex cares, as evidenced by your steller attendance record, not one sellout in those five bowl appearences, and just bairly half the staduim full.....if the KU game is any indication we will have sellouts with winning records.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DallasFrog » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:12 pm

You were 0-0 and playing in a brand new stadium. I would hope you could get 30,000 people to show up for a season opener in a very nice new stadium. We've averaged nearly 28k a game for the past 5 years (which would basically fill your stadium), and haven't had a decent team play us at home. The only games where you've managed a respectable home crowd (more than 20K)was against Tech you basically outnumbered you and TCU. Hell, you all should provide our biggest draw, but you can't bring more than 1,000 people for 30 a minute drive.
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby cowboypony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:29 pm

Yes, perhaps you "average" 28K as far as the reporting goes. But, I've been to some games over there (last year) where your attendance was in the teens and yet, magically, in the newspaper you somehow had in the upper 20Ks. Further, my dad (a TCU letterman)is real good friends with a member of the TCU Board of Regents and when asked about a seemingly good attendance number, the Board member said, "Well we all know those numbers aren't any where near the actual attendance."

Not that SMU does not suffer from the same "inflation" syndrome; however, at least we admit it. Truth: TCU's attendance is only marginally better than ours and you've got a winning product!
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasFrog » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:38 pm

Marginally better?
You've averaged what 15 or 16K and we average 28K, and according to you "all the numbers are inflated" so that gives you 10K and us 23K. Last I checked that's more than double, and how are you so sure that "SMU tells the truth"???
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby StangEsq » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:48 pm

I have to say, going to bowls with the schedule TCU has had is pretty impressive. At this pace, they may get to a BCS bowl by 2020.

2002 schedule:
Cincinnati
Northwestern
SMU
North Texas
Houston
Army
Louisville
Southern Miss
Tulane
East Carolina
Memphis

2003:
Tulane
Navy
Vanderbilt
Army
Arizona
South Florida
Alabama-Birmingham
Fort Worth Dunbar High School
Houston
Louisville
Cincinnati
Southern Miss
SMU

Predicted 2004 schedule:
Dunbar High School
Dallas Jesuit
Arlington
Irving MacArthur
L.D. Bell
R.L. Turner
Plano East
Fort Worth Christian
Highland Park
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:55 pm

DallasFrog, show me in my post where I said SMU told the truth. You are living in a dream world if you think TCU actually had an avg. of 28K butts in seats. No one, including your own alumni believes that. What is a fact is that SMU has filled it's stadium twice since Ford opened. Beyond that, both of our attendances need serious improvement.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:22 pm

Even if you really do average 28000 (your website if I remember reports averages closer to 26), your stadium seats 46....so you have on average 18-20000 seats empty....we average 18292 this past season, and our stadium only holds 32000, so we only have roughly 13-14000 empty seats, this is with a losing team. As far as our facilities being more than we will ever need, well, I think we all know whose eyes were bigger than their stomach on this one.

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:26 pm

I haven't been to Amon Carter Stadium since the mid-80s. Do they still have those lumber yard benches that leave splinters in your a**? And...if you want to see something really sad, come to Houston and see how few people show up for the Owls at Rice Stadium. Some people call it the "Echo Bowl".

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasFrog » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:36 pm

Cowboy, I read you post wrong, and you're correct, neither team has great attendance and we both need a lot of work.

Abe, our stadium was built many, many years ago, you built your's 3 years ago. Our eyes matched up our stomach just fine way back when, but you bit off more than you could chew 3 years ago.

Esq, just because you play Tech and OSU that gives you the right to yap about schedules? Last I checked CUSA was a tougher conference than the WAC, and we're doing everything we can to increase the competition of our OOC. We've added Tech, OU, Stanford, Arizona, and Arkansas in the next 5 years. Along with the same Navy team that beat you by 4 td's at home last year, Baylor (which we look forward to shutting up), Northwestern and Vandy which extend from existing contracts. And so the way I see it, our weakest opponent, that we can and have scheduled, is SMU, which we all hope your recruiting success will eventually find it's way back to the field.
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby abezontar » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:35 pm

lets see what stadium were we filling when you built amon carter.........oh yeah, we were filling the Cotton Bowl and making them expand the seating to 62000......

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football