PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thomas Derricks?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thomas Derricks?

Postby Dirty Bird » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:38 pm

Anybody know if we got him to sign with the Ponies as a transfer?
Help out, Whatasteve, if you know the answer.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Re: Thomas Derricks?

Postby whatasteve » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:51 am

Sorry, Dirty, I don't know any more than you do. I was counting on you for some insight.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:33 pm

I understand the reports that he had offers from SMU, LSU and A&M were false. Seems we've asked him to come as a walk-on.
I'm betting he goes I-AA.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:53 pm

according to Texas Football he is going to Sam Houston St. He is CERTAINLY not a Division 1-AA prospect-he started in the Big 10 as a freshman. The teams listed were the Division 1 schools that he was granted a release to by Northwestern. He certainly is NOT a walkon prospect but rather would be the most highly recruited prospect to set foot on SMU since the DP.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-11-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:55 pm

Was he a late signer? According to an SHSU athletic department news release from Feb. 6, the ONLY Div. 1-A transfer to the Bearkats this year is Earl Morris of SMU.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:51 pm

from <A HREF="http://www.eteamz.com/bearkatsportsforum" TARGET=_blank>www.eteamz.com/bearkatsportsforum</A> comes the following info.

February 10, 2003 — One of the top freshmen in the Big 10 two years ago while at Northwestern, Thomas Derricks has officially announced his transfer to I-AA Sam Houston State.

A 2000 'Super Team' defensive tackle at Dallas Jesuit, Derricks signed with Northwestern in February of 2001. He contributed significantly to the Wildcats as a true freshman, but departed the university last August prior to beginning his sophomore year in Evanston.

When he left NU last fall, Wildcats officials had not only penned Derricks as one of the strongest players on the squad - but in school history.

The 6-2, 285-pound Derricks, who played for the West in the inaugural 2001 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, returned to Dallas last fall and was a volunteer football coach at Jesuit for coach Bob Wunderlick.

Derricks considered a host of Div. I-A offers, notably Texas A&M, LSU and SMU, but opted to Sam Houston State, to gain I-AA eligibility this fall.

For more on Derricks, please click on <A HREF="http://www.texasfootball.com/03blue_0110.html." TARGET=_blank>http://www.texasfootball.com/03blue_0110.html.</A>

SHS coach Ron Randleman signed another Div. I-A transfer last week: Earl Morris, a running back from SMU who schooled at Klein HS.

I-45 will be HEAVILY traveled by me this year during football season as I divide my time between SMU (my 'adopted' alma mater) and Sam Houston State (where my parents' money was spent!).

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Dirty Bird » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:46 pm

That's a shame.
We really could have used him.
I know it's nice to play immediately, but is Huntsville, TX that desirable a place for a guy that young?
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:39 am

Dirty Bird: Come on down to see SHSU play a game in Huntsville some time this season when the Mustangs are on a road trip or have an 'off' week. I think you'll be surprised. Bowers Stadium is probably the BEST stadium in the Southland Conference. And Houston is only an hour's drive from Huntsville. I guess a lot depends on what TD has declared as his major, too. And let's see...in the 2001 NFL draft there were 3 Bearkats that were signed! Lots of playing time in Div.1-AA and the scouts are looking closely. TD will have THREE YEARS eligibility at SHSU! We're pumped! Sorry he won't be a Mustang...but thank god he's gonna be a Bearkat!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-12-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Return to Football