PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Orlando Sentinel article on athletic profitability...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Orlando Sentinel article on athletic profitability...

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:15 pm

good article - quite revealing.......

now i can understand why copeland is doing such a good job!!!

he's a miracle worker for sure! (& i say that most sincerely)

now look @ c-usa.....maybe it was a god-send that we didn't join???

these are reasons why i disdain tx & tam & nd....but then look @ baylor & tech...all that revneue sharing & still losses & small profits respectively.

<A HREF="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-sptbudgetcht09020903feb09,0,2135191.htmlstory?coll" TARGET=_blank>http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-sptbudgetcht09020903feb0 9,0,2135191.htmlstory?coll</A>

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 02-11-2003).]

BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: Orlando Sentinel article on athletic profitability...

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:23 pm

Gotta wonder about those figures. SMU has $10 mil more revenue than TCU? Don't think so. We show profit from the football program, with only 2 games well attended? Looks like a little bit of creative accounting to me.

Meanwhile, as for the CUSA comment...bottom line is that none of the mid-major conferences enjoy any significant revenue sharing. CUSA probably has as good an arrangement as any (in terms of bowls, TV contracts, etc...) but they can't offset the expenses associated with being another far flung (geographically) conference whose teams don't draw more than 30,000 fans on average. I agree with the comments made by the AD at Western Kentucky (or was it their school president?) when he predicted the next round of conference shuffling will bring some common sense to the mid-majors who will try to create more geographically compatible conferences geared to significantly reducing travel costs.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:43 pm

Pretty amazing stuff. Not only did the football team make a profit, the whole athletic department overall did. The best part is apparently our womens sports generated over 5 million dollars in revenue. That would be more than any of the WACs football programs. Woo Hoo!

I guess it all depends on what you call revenue. Remind me, who was Enrons accounting firm....?
PX
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:29 pm

TCU's numbers may reflect the CUSA entry fee which I have been told by TCU fans skew their numbers.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseradish » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:18 am

X, you're not insinuating that SMU is fudging their financial numbers, are you? Imagine my shock.......
Horseradish
Recruit

Return to Football