PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can anyone stop the spending on athletics at State U.?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can anyone stop the spending on athletics at State U.?

Postby Stampede » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:32 pm

Before states reported economic $$$$ shortages cost us taxpayers more money....can someone legislate NO more $$$ being spent for capital improvemnts at the State Universities. It is WAY, WAY out of hand.

I know, before you legal minds remind me "it comes from private donations and they can spend it however they want"...well, let's pass laws that restrict or "discourage" donations for any more capital improvements. If you want to donate to the university, donate to offset annual athletic shortfalls.

Bigger is NOT better...SMU is proof.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Re: Can anyone stop the spending on athletics at State U.?

Postby PX » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:54 pm

You've really lost your freaking mind. Pass laws to prohibit donations to universities, allow them only to the athletic departments? Do you ever think for a moment before typing this stuff?
PX
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:44 am

Note to Stampede's physician: "Lower the dosage."

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:29 am

Actually, State University stadium projects are closely scrutinized by the IRS because the bonds issued to pay for them are tax exempt. So, there are laws on the books and they are followed. The only way to stop state stadium projects is for taxpayers to yell at their legislators. Good luck. Here in Virginia, UVa and Va. Tech had huge stadium expansions at taxpayer expense. JMU, VMI, William & Mary and the other 1-AA schools had to rely on private donations for any stadium improvements.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:38 pm

All of what EastStang says is true, but what Stampede proposed in the opening was to ban all donations for capitol improvements at State universities, and that goes far beyond just stadiums and athletic facilities. The building that I work in is part of a state university, built in the last 5 years. I'm on the North Campus of UT-Southwestern. Outside my window another building is going up that I'm told will be the new home of the Internal Medicine and Immunology Departments (thats not all settled, lots of people are fighting for space in the new building when it opens.) Alot of very, very important work gets done at universities that have nothing to do with Stampedes football fantasies, and thats why I objected so much to his post.
PX
Varsity

Return to Football