PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The SMU/Sam Houston State Connection

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The SMU/Sam Houston State Connection

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:00 am

Perhaps it's a case for "The X-Files" but something strange is beginning to happen up and down I-45 from Dallas to Huntsville.

In the past few years, there have been several transfers from SMU to SHSU's football program. Most notably QB Josh McCown in 2001. Now Earl Morris will be heading to Huntsville.

Also, the schedule this season shows that SMU plays Baylor in Waco the week before SHSU travels to play the Bears at Floyd Casey Stadium. And then the Bearkats travel to El Paso to play UTEP the week before the Mustangs host the Miners.

I've posted on the SHSU message board in the past that I would LOVE to see a match-up between my two favorite college teams but I've been called crazy! However, with the current 'connections' that are taking place, could an SMU v. SHSU contest be that far away in the future? Perhaps 2004 or 2005...?

SHSU has 2 Div.1-A schools in its pre-conf. schedule this year: Baylor and UTEP. They also play Div.1-AA powerhouse Montana. How about it, Mr. Copeland? Give Bobby Williams (SHSU's Ath. Director) a call and set it up at Ford Stadium next year!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-12-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The SMU/Sam Houston State Connection

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:24 am

Isn't Montana 1-AA or did they make the to 1-A? ANyhoo, I'm thinking the SMU-SHSU is pretty much just coincidence Image Would like to see us play them sometime in the future, preferably when they wouldn't hurt our OOC schedule...a few years down the road perhaps.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:12 pm

UNFMustang06: I stand corrected. You are right. Montana is Div.1-AA (although they play like a Div.1-A team!). Thank you.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HOTSTANG » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:09 pm

other SHSU hikers from SMU:

Lloyd Banks- rb
Marcus Carter- wr
Trent Joeckle- wr

these are just a few in the past 4 yrs. in addition to Josh & Earl
HOTSTANG

Return to Football