PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Daily Campus Commentary for Feb. 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Daily Campus Commentary for Feb. 12

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:46 am

OMG! I just read today's editorial commentary in the online version of The Daily Campus from SMU. I cannot believe the DC editorial board is actually suggesting a rock concert at Ford Stadium! The premise is that it would be a great way for college students to help 'remove' (read: tear up) the natural turf before a newer artificial turf is laid. Bad idea. Ford Stadium isn't even two years old and already there's an idea being thrown around that would lead to the chances of the stadium being damaged in ways that I don't even want to start imagining! Also, I don't think the University Park City Council would permit a rock concert to take place at Ford Stadium. Too close to residential neighborhoods. I'll close with this: I consider Ford Stadium our 'home', not our 'outhouse'. If a rock concert were to take place there, Ford Stadium would end up being a pile of ****. 'Nuff said.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-12-2003).]

MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Daily Campus Commentary for Feb. 12

Postby BillBored » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:36 am

A kickass rock concert at Ford this spring would afford my fellow seniors and I our first and last chance to experience joy in that stadium.
Harvard: The SMU of the North
BillBored
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:21 am

True, that'd be nice...but 65 is right, HP would never allow it.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:56 am

Too bad the Carpenter aren't together anymore. Some soft rock in HP would probably get approval. The kids would learn to love it, just like I did when it was forced down my throat. Is the 1910 Fruit Gum Company still together?
Nacho

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:52 am

First and last?
That says more about you and your friends, BillBored, than it does about the team's performance. You say you're a senior - were you not in attendance when we opened Ford Stadium with a win over Kansas? Did you not enjoy watching us knock off defending WAC champion LaTech this year? Even when our guys fall short, how can you not enjoy a Saturday afternoon, watching YOUR school in the nicest stadium in all of Texas?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:24 pm

What is this about replacing the grass field with artificial turf? Turf is the worse thing to play on. It ruins joints and causes all kinds of nasty turf burns.

Also, grass fields can be tailored to meet our team’s needs. If we want to slow down a team, let the grass grow. Speed up our team, cut the grass short.

I hope we are not going to waste money on a turf field.
ponyte

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:30 pm

Perhaps the old astroturf such as the hard as concrete crap they had in Philly, but RealGrass and other new artificial turfs make for wonderful playing surfaces Image

I don't think we have the money for a new surface anyway. Also, any replacement wouldn't happen until after the 200(4?) College Cup we have to host. Correct?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:35 pm

These People Keep Acting Like Its Something New!!!!! HELLO PEOPLE!! If You've been on Here! We've Been Talking About Gettin Turf Like Ever since the season ended! Which it seems half of you dont even know what our record was last year!

------------------
The Red and Blue Is Back! God Bless SMU Football!

[This message has been edited by Mustangs35SMU (edited 02-12-2003).]
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:01 pm

Hey, Nacho...funny you should mention The Carpenters. I saw their concert at McFarlin in the early 70s and got to meet them backstage. Karen C. was a hot babe back then! Other great concerts that I saw at McFarlin over the years were: Bread, James Taylor (TWICE!), Barry Manilow (ugh!), Gino Vanelli and NUMEROUS Pigskin Revues before SMU Homecomings! I also saw Elton John at Moody Coliseum. Yeah, I'm an 'older Mustang' but I appreciate some of today's rock groups, too. Just curious...who would YOU want to see perform at Ford Stadium?

While I think a rock concert at SMU is a cool idea, I DON'T think Ford Stadium is the proper venue and especially for what the DC Editorial Board is proposing. Once you get a bunch of fans tearing something up, a 'mob mentality' can overtake them and then the police get called in and it gets downright 'ugly'. Just look at how some fans reacted to Oakland's loss in the Super Bowl this year. Or how some college students up north have reacted when their basketball teams have either lost or won a championship.

If the DC Editorial Board wants students to 'help' tear up the natural turf so that it can be replaced with artificial turf, why not propose a 'volunteer day' at Ford Stadium? Get the Greek organizations and other service clubs to come out and help. Invite youth groups from churches and schools to assist, too. (This goes back to another recent thread about involving young people from around Dallas in SMU activities to make future fans of them.) And, in these hard economic times, it would most likely save the university some much-needed $$$, too. It would also foster positive public relations and generate media coverage that would be in the university's best interest. The last thing I would want to see is rock fans tearing up Ford Stadium on "You've Gotta See This" or "Real TV" or on CNN and other news reports.

I've lived through SMU's Death Penalty days. I DON'T want to live through another round of bad PR that can be prevented if people will just stop and THINK!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

MrMustang1965

Postby d_pony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:29 pm

i hear we are getting new turf at Ford Stadium after spring ball -- also heard we have decided not to host the 2004 College Cup
d_pony
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:12 pm

The new turf will be a definite asset to our football program. The new stuff is better than natural grass and anyone who thinks otherwise has no knowledge of the new stuff that we'll be getting.
Bergermeister

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:43 pm

Since I'm not a student at SMU - but definitely a contributor to the school - I would appreciate it if some of you would voice your objections to the Daily Campus editorial board about their proposal to have a rock concert at Ford Stadium. It's a bad idea - pure and simple.

------------------
MrMustang1965

Return to Football