PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

bowls

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

bowls

Postby ponyman » Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:54 pm

The consensus seems to be that we will never be invited to a bowl game unless we win the conference. O. K., how about we simply inaugurate our own bowl, just like SJSU and Hawaii. Then, anytime we manage to win 6 or more games, we just invite ourselves. Ford Stadium is about the same size as Spartan Stadium. I'm sure we could get TV coverage from Fox and I'll bet we could come up with some corporate sponsorship. Something to think about.
ponyman
Recruit

Re: bowls

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:01 pm

That's a great idea. The only problem is that we have to come up with a couple million dollars as a payout to the teams and who knows what other kinds of expenses.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:20 pm

Which would be a bonehead idea, especially if we couldn't get into our own bowl. They could call it the Mustang Bowl. The Pony Bowl. The Nacho Bowl! He wishes Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 02-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by I AM (edited 02-13-2003) and re-edited by UNFMustang06 out of spite.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 02-14-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby I AM » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:22 pm

Come on guys, enough with the antagonism.
I AM
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:43 am

Get the Ford Motor Company to sponsor it. It could be called The Ford Mustang Bowl. And each time the announcers say the game is being held in Ford Stadium, it's a 'free' ad for the sponsor!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:37 am

I AM, why did you edit my post? There was nothing offensive in it, whatsoever. Me and Nacho have a friendly rivalry...if you're going to start editing and deleting posts like MM.Com, then I will leave this board just as quickly. Wait, Nacho would just love that! So maybe I'll wreak havoc on you all. Nah...I'll sit sit back and take this crap. I just don't appreciate the edit, so the least you could do is give me an explanation.

Thanks a bunch. Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:24 am

I liked your idea of the Nacho Bowl.
Nacho

Postby I AM » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:18 pm

My mistake then. But actually, you did use language, which although not offensive to me personally, was rather derogatory toward another poster. Please realize that sometimes it's difficult to tell where the friendly banter ends, and antagonism begins.

PonyFans was started to give Mustang enthusiasts an alternative to the other site, which had degenerated into petty squabbling, interfraternal warfare, etc. While we certainly want our members to have fun and we'd like to foster a spirit of camaraderie, we hope that the same principal of good sportsmanship that we expect from our athletes would also apply to us.

Thanks for understanding.
I AM
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:07 pm

UNMF deeply hurt my feelings. Thanks webmaster for putting an end to his nonsense.
Nacho

Postby ponyte » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:29 pm

If we win and win often and big, we will get to go bowling. After a few years of winning, and a great season, we get a shot in the BCS. We have to pay our dues to get back in the same league as the big boys.

15 years of pathetic football has killed our chances of a quick return to respectiblity.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:32 pm

I've got news for you. SMU isn't going to sniff a BCS conference anytime soon, if ever. Doesn't matter if we string together 3 consecutive WAC championships, unless we also sellout Ford Stadium for every game and start seeing overflow crowds and a demand for tickets that would support expansion of Ford to the 45,000 seats the present design will allow. For those who assume winning will bring the crowds, all I know is our history doesn't support that theory. Remember, the big state schools from the Big 8 objected to Baylor being a part of the Big XII because of their paltry attendance for football...which at about 35,000 exceeds Ford's capacity.
Charleston Pony

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:42 pm

Ya gotta crawl before ya walk...or run! Frankly, I could care less about a BCS. I just want our Mustangs to start winning! And I am confident that Bennett will get them there.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Return to Football