PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Minister Oscar Roan

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Minister Oscar Roan

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:28 am

...I was flipping through the TV remote tonite and recognized a face on the James Robison TV show I couldn't quite place but knew I knew. Turns out it was former SMU All-American Oscar Roan who is now running a ministry across the United States that concentrates on prison inmates and the homeless. Apparently it is very successful and he has up to 200 appearances a year. Roan claims he was saved by former SMU Coach Dave Smith who had a minister come speak to the SMU team in 1973. Anyway Roan is a very engaging, articulate man who appears to have really put that SMU education to good use. He has a website at <A HREF="http://www.oscarroanministries.org." TARGET=_blank>www.oscarroanministries.org.</A>

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-18-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Minister Oscar Roan

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:51 pm

One of the few players to letter in football and basketball at SMU. He helped the Ponies turn the season around in basketball in '74. For those of you who don't know the story. Our power forward flunked out after the first semester. Oscar went up to Coach Prewitt and asked if he needed help. Prewitt asked, Have you ever played basketball, son? Roan responded, that he transferred to SMU from UCLA where he couldn't crack the starting line-up. UCLA had won six straight National Titles at that point. He also wanted to play football. I think he was an All-American tight end as well.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Minister Oscar Roan

Postby socite » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:39 pm

Roan graduated from South Oak Cliff and went to UCLA on a football scholarship. I think he played basketball only one year at SMU. He and Ira Terrell made a heck of a front court. I think Sammy Hervey was on the same team with Roan and Terrell. I recall that Roan played tight end behind Ozzie Newsome at Cleveland.
socite
Recruit

Return to Football