PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dorm food

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dorm food

Postby hpfan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:27 pm

I over heard a group of football players and some female athletes ot to eat the other day ragin about the dorm food. It seems most of the daily menu is burgers and pizza(yuk). aparently it has gotten real old and the vendor serving the food is not very accomodating. What ever happened to the days of the athletes table and healthy menu. From what I heard they are really Pissed and dissapointed..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Re: Dorm food

Postby couch 'em » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:34 pm

On the weekend the food is horrible, especially this weekend for some reason. During the week, the main cafeteria in umphrey lee is not bad, they have added many choices and expanded the hours this year, and although it gets old real quick, it could be much worse. The food at Mac's Place, a cafeteria inside McElvaney (dorm in the south quad, the quad where athletes live) has nothing but burgers and such. It used to be the only place for late night food, but now that duty goes to UL. Many athletes complain that they now have to walk across campus to eat after practice..... This may be why they were complaining. Not that dorm food is ever good anywhere.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WildHorse » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:35 pm

Cafeteria food will never make you forget Mom's home cooking, but trust me, as cafeteria food goes, SMU's is borderline gourmet. Very edible compared to that offered on numerous other campuses.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:11 am

Woa, Mac's Place stopped late night?! You guys have no idea how wonderful the cafeteria food is at SMU. I miss it DEARLY. I can't get a burger grilled in front of me anywhere here...you have tons of options for a campus the size of SMU... you just don't understand! Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:34 pm

I have to say that I miss the breakfast buffet. I can still see the tubs of bacon in my mind. Mmmmm... bacon...
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:35 pm

Just because some of the cafeteria "food" has a shelf-life longer than a cryogenically frozen twinkie doesn't mean it's not good. As cafeteria food goes, SMU stands up with the best in the nation.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Dirty Bird » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:52 pm

Typical spoiled SMU crybabies, bitchin' about the food on campus.
There's PLENTY of selection, and the selection isn't too dang bad.
If they worried more about blocking and tackling, and less about whether or not they get their mochafrappucino, we might start pumping out more W's.
Am I right on this, Whatasteve?
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby Cupcaking » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:30 pm

The food isn't all that bad at UL if you go before regular meal times are over. you can't walk up in there at 10pm and expect everything they served at dinner. i suggest that they get there before 7:30 if they want something halfway decent. it's not the same as home cooking, but you can always find something balanced at regular meal times.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:35 am

The athletes on campus when I was there found a way to subsidize their menu. I was there when the football players all lived in the same dorm (Peyton) and they had a curfew. I lived in Mary Hay, right next door. As soon as bed check was over, our phones began to ring, to see if we were going to Jack In The Box!!! We would take an order for practically the whole team, and deliver them by throwing them up through the window at the end of the hall, between our dorms, since they couldn't leave the dorm ! ! ! They'd throw down the money, we'd toss up the burgers !!!
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:09 pm

Very enterprising of you, BornRed&Blue!

And Pony4Life: how long exactly IS the shelf-life of a cryogenically frozen twinkie? And how does that compare to the shelf-life of a bag of Kroger-made marshmallows?

I'm afraid to ask how you know these things.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Football