PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Strength

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Strength

Postby Otto » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:17 pm

I hear Brad Kieschnick has added 10-15 pounds of muscle since the end of the season, and that Don Ieremia-Stansbury has added more than 20! Can't wait to see them whipping some guys on the field.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Re: Strength

Postby Ikus » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:03 pm

Is there anyone on the team — even a senior lineman — who can lift more than Massey in the weight room?

Granted, weight room dominance doesn't always translate to success on the field, but maybe he'll put a dent in some guys' egos and he'll inspire the guys to work even harded in the weight room. You can't let a freshman RB outlift you, right linemen?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:42 pm

....that really will interesting. I think it may be a misprint but the Pony Fans Recruiting prospectus has Fred Turner with an unbelievable squat number of 615 pounds which is comparable to Massey. I can't believe a small guy like that could have that much strength in his legs-anybody know if its correct? Of course, apparently the recruiting services can't believe that he ran a 4.27 electronically timed 40 either as they generally listed him as a 4.4-4.5 guy. That time of 4.27 would be in the Top .01 of all skill position players in the nation if true. I can't wait to see him in uniform.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-24-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:24 pm

The notes from the interview are at home. I'll doublecheck it this evening (assuming my brain isn't frozen solid.)
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:46 pm

not to be picky but I think Cedric Dorsey's long jump of 30 feet would make him the world record holder wouldn't it. Its probably his triple jump numbers.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:20 pm

Turner would have to have a squat of 615 lbs. to post a verticle leap of 37"!! Holy cow!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 pm

I doublechecked the notes I have from interviewing the recruits. Turner did indeed say he squats 615. And Dorsey did tell me 30 feet for a long jump, and told me 43-9 3/4 for a triple jump.

Shame on me for not recognizing that a 30-foot long jump would have him as a world record holder. Guess I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak.

Interesting note: I remember reading somewhere that Michael Jordan was measured to have a 38-inch vertical leap. Fred Turner is only one inch shy of that? And Richuel Massey jumped 39? That means he can outlift every player on the SMU roster in both the bench and the squat, and he can outjump Michael Jordan (although being shorter and having shorter arms, it might not look as impressive to the casual observer.) Both guys sound extremely impressive.
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby Fooball » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:47 pm

With a 30fth long jump, we could line up Dorsey on offense and have him jump for first downs.
Fooball
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:39 pm

That might be the funniest post I've ever read on this site.
Creates quite a mental picture, don't you think?
Or, in short yardage, you'd have to think he could almost hurdle the entire pile en route to the end zone.

Postby EP Pony Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:00 pm

Stansbury has added 20 pounds? I remember him in high school, when he was a pretty skinny safety/linebacker. I can't believe he's getting that big, and I look forward to seeing him play. Since SMU is hosting UTEP in 2003, does anyone know if any SMU games will be televised?
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby M Street Stang » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:42 pm

My father in law is a former high school coach and lives in Arlington. He swears Fred Turner is the fastest running back he has seen.
M Street Stang
Scout Team

Postby StangEsq » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyPride:
<B>I doublechecked the notes I have from interviewing the recruits. Turner did indeed say he squats 615. And Dorsey did tell me 30 feet for a long jump, and told me 43-9 3/4 for a triple jump.

Shame on me for not recognizing that a 30-foot long jump would have him as a world record holder. Guess I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak.

Interesting note: I remember reading somewhere that Michael Jordan was measured to have a 38-inch vertical leap. Fred Turner is only one inch shy of that? And Richuel Massey jumped 39? That means he can outlift every player on the SMU roster in both the bench and the squat, and he can outjump Michael Jordan (although being shorter and having shorter arms, it might not look as impressive to the casual observer.) Both guys sound extremely impressive.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably have Jordan's VL from this year :]
I think his VL in the old days was around 42.

The highest I've ever heard of was a Cowboys RB named Higgs that supposedly had a 43 or 44 inch VL... i think he played for the Broncos later?

Would be interesting to see the VLs of Finley, Kobe and Vince Carter, etc.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:55 pm

Actually, when I read about Jordan and his 38-inch vertical, that was when he was a young NBA guy, flying through the air, doing every commercial offered to him (like now) and dunking like nobody since Dr. J. The article I read (Sports Illustrated .... I Think) said that the highest he'd ever been measured, and I can only assume that's diminished since then. (Saw Washington beat the Rockets last night, and I actually was surprised when he had a dunk - he's just not the flier he once was.) I thought he hadn't dunked since before his 421st retirement.
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:35 pm

MJ's been a little careful with that knee. He also took off some weight this year which is allowing him some air time.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:07 pm

I'm falling off my chair laughing.
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Next

Return to Football