PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The \"other\" Kieschnick

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The \"other\" Kieschnick

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:22 pm

Found this story on SportingNews.com about #62's big brother:

Journeyman Kieschnick takes a two-way road

February 25, 2003

Early in spring training, the Brewers' Wes Helms steps into the cage for batting practice, glances out toward the moun and does a double take. Staring back at him is Brooks Kieschnick, whom Helms recalls from the minor leagues as hitter, not a pitcher.

Surprise! Kieschnick, 30, is trying out for the Brewers as a two-way player. If he makes the club, it will be as a lefthanded-hitting reserve and righthanded reliever, and not necessarily in that order.

The sad-sack Brewers rarely think outside the box, but new GM Doug Melvin and manager Ned Yost may be on to something. Kieschnick's versatility as a pitcher, first baseman and outfielder could create a host of strategic options. It also could open a roster spot for one of the Brewers' two Rule 5 draft picks.

"In our situation, it's something we have to look at," Melvin says. "We have to utilize players the best way we can."

In an era when many teams carry 12 pitchers on their 25-man rosters, even contenders are exploring two-way options. The Braves plan to use Mike Hampton, perhaps the game's best-hitting starting pitcher, as a frequent pinch hitter. They also are keeping their options open with first base prospect Adam LaRoche, a talented lefthanded pitcher (and the son of former major league pitcher Dave LaRoche).

Babe Ruth contributed as both a pitcher and hitter early in his career, but players rarely have filled both roles simultaneously. Hampton, for example, is a pitcher first, starting every fifth day and serving as a possible pinch hitter the other four.

Kieschnick's role would be less defined. Yost could summon him as a reliever in the middle innings without the concern of needing to hit for the pitcher. Yost also could use Kieschnick to hit for the pitcher and give the Brewers the equivalent of a temporary DH.

Kieschnick, the Cubs' 1993 first-round pick, was a three-time All-American as a two-way player at Texas. But despite prodigious power, he never has established himself as a hitter. He has 173 major-league at-bats in 10 professional seasons, and the Brewers are his eighth organization.

"I had talked to a bunch of people who said, 'Hey, you ever think about pitching?' " Kieschnick says. "I was going up and down as a hitter. I didn't want to be sitting around when I was 40 years old wondering, 'What would have happened if I had pitched?' "

The Indians gave him the chance in minor league camp last spring but didn't keep him. Kieschnick spent one day with the independent Brockton (Mass.) Rox, then received a call from the White Sox, who wanted him to be their DH at Class AAA Charlotte -- and agreed to let him pitch.

Kieschnick batted .275 with 13 home runs and 40 RBIs in 189 at-bats for Charlotte. He also was 0-1 with a 2.59 ERA in 25 games as a reliever, evolving from a mop-up man to a setup man and nearly getting a major league promotion.

The White Sox had no place for him this spring, but GM Ken Williams says, "His stuff was electric, and he competes like a lion. I can anticipate him not just being in somebody's bullpen, but in the back of the bullpen."

Kieschnick says he feels "1 percent" more comfortable pitching than hitting. His fastball exceeds 90 mph. His sharp-breaking curveball fooled hitters in early batting practice sessions, but Brewers pitching coach Mike Maddux says Kieschnick's fluttering changeup is his second-best pitch.

Kieschnick isn't the next Babe Ruth. All he wants is one more major league chance.

"I'm not doing this for attention," Kieschnick says. "I just love to play this game."

Senior writer Ken Rosenthal covers baseball for Sporting News. Email him at kenrosenthal@sportingnews.com.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The \"other\" Kieschnick

Postby PonyFan » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:02 pm

"and he competes like a lion."

Sounds just like Brad. Runs in the family, I guess.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football