PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustangs definitely in a position to be bcs in two years

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustangs definitely in a position to be bcs in two years

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:09 pm

I have no doubt based on this year's recruiting class and the strength of schedule the next few years that we will be in a bcs bowl in two years!
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Re: Mustangs definitely in a position to be bcs in two years

Postby MustangKurt20 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:03 pm

You really think by the time realignment is here SMU will be an attractive BCS conference candidate? Hey, I'm as optomistic as anyone on this board and I've been chastised often for being overly optomistic, but I can tell you with very little doubt that SMU has virtually no chance of entering into a BCS conference. Remember college football is about money and money making schools do not want to have a school like SMU with a small enrollment, private, lack of fan support, etc.. weighing down their conference. Now I agree in two year we should be much improved, but BCS conference ready we will not be.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby hpfan » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:04 pm

As to all the optimism of next years winning record and eventual BCS involvement- "FROM YOUR LIPS TO GOD'S EARS"..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:09 pm

He's going to be listening to miraculous Phil!
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:53 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but shouldn't we focus on a winning season first? You're hitching your faith to a bunch of 18-year-old freshmen? What say we wait until they're old enough to shave, huh? Building a program is a process, not something that happens overnight.

(And I realize that Fast Eddie, I hope, wrote that just to get a rise outr of people. Enthusiasm is great, but let's temper it with a dose of reality, huh?)
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:23 pm

Love the enthusiasm, Fast Eddie; but I agree there's a call for a little reality check here.

Consider the mid-major programs that have flirted with a BCS invite in recent years. TCU was positioned to go 11-0 with LaDanian Tomlinson running wild and even if they had accomplished that feat, they still would have had to beat out Notre Dame to get the spot (how likely was that to happen?) Of course, the Frogs lost to San Jose that year to make it all academic, and then were beaten by the chicken hawks of USM (as some of their fans refer to the golden eagles)in the Mobile Bowl, adding insult to injury.

Then there was Fresno, who beat Colorado, Wisconsin and Oregon St with David Carr and was looking like a team that just might burst the BCS bubble...until they got clobbered in WAC play.

The point is: it will likely take a mid-major program having back-to-back undefeated seasons before they would crash the BCS party. Given the number of mid-majors who have improved to the point of having very competitive football programs, I don't see anyone running the table in back-to-back years.

I love the dream, though. I hope there are enough top recruits out there who believe SMU could be the school that eventually crashes the BCS party. That's what it's going to take, and Bennett truly would be a miracle worker if he could pull that off.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:39 pm

But SMU has a greater history than those other schools and believe me an undefeated or one defeat season with the type of schedules Bennett is planning will get us there. I love the feet on the ground approach our fans take compare to aggies (who have decided they have won the national championship with fancione) or red raiders who think people follow their team outside of lubbock) but Bennett is the man, trust me.
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:46 pm

BCS is not realistic. A .500 season this year is not out of the question, and then the next year we will be in a bowl. But it won't be a BCS bowl game.
JasonB

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:40 pm

See my note about a bowl under "2003 Schedule Announced" thread.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 03-03-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:58 pm

It'll take more than two years.

On the plus side, SMU has tradition and one of the top media markets in the country on its side.

So if we have the wins, then the fickle Dallas fans return, then I'd think our program would look very attractive.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Fresh » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:38 pm

Too bad the local media barely covers SMU, for fear of diluting their Texas and aggie coverage.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:50 pm

That really is sad but they will be forced to cover us once our record puts us in greater bowls than at least the aggies.
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:04 am

I'll tell you: there was a day when the ACC and the Big East were in the WAC's position. Now is our chance with Bennet to march up the hill to bcs glory.
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Return to Football