PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ENTHUSIASM ON THE HILLTOP

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ENTHUSIASM ON THE HILLTOP

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:49 am

After my father died last year (see "SMU Loses #1 Fan" thread), his wishes were to be cremated and for his ashes to be scattered on The Hilltop. His instructions to his longtime friend and fellow S.M.U. "yell leader" J.R. Patterson and me were to stand atop Dallas Hall and cast his spirit over the campus. Unfortunately, because of 9-11, there is no longer access to the roof of Dallas Hall. Dad wanted Patterson to re-create a famous pep rally from the late '40s when they were yell leaders at S.M.U. and Patterson climbed atop Dallas Hall to lead cheers. Yes. ON TOP OF DALLAS HALL! I wonder if any of S.M.U.'s current cheerleaders would have the b*lls (or craziness!) to do such a thing today? I doubt it. And the reason: BECAUSE THEY LACK THE ENTHUSIASM THAT ONCE EXISTED AT S.M.U.!

It's time for SOMEONE to take on the mantle of ENTHUSIASM once again on The Hilltop! Who will it be? Will it be you? WHAT KIND OF ENTHUSIASM WILL YOU SHOW FOR THE MUSTANGS THIS YEAR?

Oh, yeh...in case you're wondering about Dad's 'final wishes'...they were fulfilled. His 'spirit' now rests in several key and prominent locations on The Hilltop. I believe he'll help bring our Mustangs a winning season in Ford Stadium! <wink> NOW THAT'S MUSTANG ENTHUSIASM FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 03-02-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ENTHUSIASM ON THE HILLTOP

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:02 am

*Thinks For a Second* Why Does It Have To Be Someone? Why Dont All of Us Here at Ponyfans.com Bring That Back to the Hilltop! why do we have to wait for somebody to have the courage to try and bring the spirit back to the Mustang Campus? The Mustangs used to be the Best Team In the Land! And Now Look at us. Im Tired of using the excuse that that damn Death Penalty Killed our program! Cause it hasnt! The Death Penalty only hit the SMU Football Program hard! But It Didnt Kill It! The Enthusiam is There! And It aint going anywhere until someone brings it back to the Hilltop! And Im tired of waitin for that someone to bring it back! I say all of us here bring it back!

------------------
The Red and Blue Is Back! God Bless SMU Football!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:59 pm

I like the plan. For this site to have an impact on that, we ALL have to have season tickets and attend every single game. I've been doing this for years - join me!
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:29 pm

Let's all make it start on April 12 at Ford Stadium during the Red & Blue Spring Game!!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:49 pm

You know Ill Be There!

------------------
The Red and Blue Is Back! God Bless SMU Football!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:56 pm

Hey, Mustangs35SMU: How about letting all of us <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ponyfans.com</A> posters come sit in your family's skybox at Ford Stadium? <wink>

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:05 pm

HaHa Wish I could!

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:44 pm

I am humbled by the image of anyone loving the mustangs so much that they would have the hilltop as the final resting place for their ashes. I'm there; I will be getting our season tickets and will try to attend every away game as well. BENNETT WILL BRING US TO GLORY!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Fast Eddie (edited 03-02-2003).]
Fast Eddie
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:22 pm

Hopefully Bennett wont have to cancel the Red and Blue Game again like last year!! That was a horrible day for me last year driving up 2 hours then they had to cancel the game. But Ooooo Well I was glad to be back on campus!

------------------
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:07 pm

What was the reason for it being cancelled last year? (Unfortunately, I was not able to be there.)

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:49 pm

It was raining and thunder and lighting and all that crap so ya know how he lost his wife to gettin struck by lighting so he didnt want to take any chances of losing his players and all

MY 100TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Mustangs35SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:04 pm

Or fans Image We need all of em we can get.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby leadpony » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:50 pm

there have been students that have attempted to bring the spirit back to campus. as recently as this year. but their ideas many times fall on deaf ears from the administration. school spirit starts at the top.
it is really simple. let us have the possibility to have a winning team. and people will be pumped up about it.
bennett is the first step...it's just going to take the people that run the school to emerse themselves in the fact that smu has the possibility to be one of the best sports schools in the nation.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby No Quarter » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:34 pm

Some days back now, there was a proposal that all P-F.commers gather at a specific place in the stadium for the Spring Game.

Webbie responded by offering the prospect of a tee-shirt.

How many still are interested? Any new comment on these ideas?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:50 pm

That was 'yours truly' who made that suggestion about <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ponyfans.com</A> posters sitting together several weeks ago. It still is 'out there' and awaiting a unified response so that we'll know what section at Ford Stadium to sit in.

Webmasters: are you listening? It appears that the masses are speaking in unison!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Football