PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

80's WR Ron Morris Cooper,TX

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

80's WR Ron Morris Cooper,TX

Postby MustangKurt20 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:00 am

I have tons of family in Cooper and they all told me that Ron Morris was the fastest high school athlete they had ever seen. Of course this was 2A. What do some of you guys who were around back then remember about him? I know he got drafted by the Bears but suffered severe injuries. Speaking of Cooper, its been pretty good to the Mustangs supplying us w/ Morris and the two Bonds brothers.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: 80's WR Ron Morris Cooper,TX

Postby PX » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangKurt20:
<B>I have tons of family in Cooper and they all told me that Ron Morris was the fastest high school athlete they had ever seen. Of course this was 2A. What do some of you guys who were around back then remember about him? I know he got drafted by the Bears but suffered severe injuries. Speaking of Cooper, its been pretty good to the Mustangs supplying us w/ Morris and the two Bonds brothers.

Kurt</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a little surprising, I always thought Rons older brother was the fastest, he ran track at TCU. Ron made alot of big plays here, too many to really list in this space. Just let it suffice to say he played in an offense that was dominated by the running game, but I believe he is still 2nd on the schools career recieving yardage list, in front of all the guys who played in the Run-and-shoot days.
PX
Varsity

Postby cowboypony » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:02 pm

The word "fast" is a relative term. I played against Ron starting in the 7th grade all the way through our senior years. All I can tell you is that he was by far the fastest player on the field. His hands weren't the greatest (that was the case with SMU and even the Bears) but his speed and size made him very dangerous. His brother, J.C., I believe, was a sprinter but I heard many people say that Ron was faster on the football field. Unfortunately, we all know what happened to the other brother, Bam.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:47 pm

Ron Morris is 6th in school history with 147 receptions (Chris Cunningham is 7th, with 129).

Morris is 2nd in career receiving yards with 2,410, trailing only Emanuel Tolbert, who racked up 2,784.

Morris is 4th in career receiving touchdowns with 15. (Kevin Thornal is 5th, with 14, and Comet is 6th, with 13.)

The 80-yard touchdown reception Morris had against TCU in 1983 is tied for the 5th-longest TD catch in school history. (He also had a 79-yard reception against Arkansas in 1984, but he didn't score on the play.)
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby dandyfan » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:55 pm

one of the most entertaining races i have ever seen on a track was morris lining up side by side with edwin simmons(future UT runningback)in the 100 meters. by the way, morris won.
dandyfan

Postby cowboypony » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:23 pm

I had the opportunity to play once against Siimmons. Both were frightening to have to cover, let alone tackle.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:08 pm

Morris was a starter for the Bears for a number of seasons.

The two biggest plays I remember him being involved in for SMU were (1)he dropped a wide open pass from Lance M in the end zone against Texas that caused us to lose 9-7 in 83, and (2) a great touchdown catch in the rain in Waco from Lance M that greatly assisted us in a critical comeback win in 82.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Dirty Bird » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:43 pm

Does anybody know what Ron Morris is doing these days?
Where he is? What occupation? Etc.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:11 am

His name does not even show up on the 'official' SMU athletic alumni database. Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football