PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston

Postby Nacho » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:52 pm

The University of Houston is in big financial trouble according to an article today in the Houston Chronicle. These are hard times for just about all states. The revenue directed to state schools is going way down. Houston is not helping itself with its very poor attendance. Articles like these make me wonder how long some programs will be around.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Houston

Postby cowboypony » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:01 pm

Do you have a link?
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Nacho » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:14 pm

Go to <A HREF="http://www.houstonchronicle.com" TARGET=_blank>www.houstonchronicle.com</A> and click on sports. The article is at the bottom of the page.
Nacho

Postby PK » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:26 pm

Actually you have to click on college after you click on sports....or use this link:

<A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/college/1804893" TARGET=_blank>www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/college/1804893</A>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PX » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:00 pm

The article makes it sound like a dire situation. I wonder how long it will be before we hear that kind of admission around here?
PX
Varsity

Postby Lawgrad » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:42 pm

I seriously doubt that we will hear anything like that at all about the financial condition of the athletic department. Houston has been getting hammered in their endowment, whereas SMU just got done raising over $500 mil. So much of their income is tied into the Texas Legislature, which is obviously very short handed when it comes to money. It also sounds like there has been gross mis-management of the budget. Now, you can accuse Copeland of a lot of things, but I don't think that he has been fiscally irresponsible.

I'm sure there are some High School seniors who just signed their LOI's with the Cougars that are questioning their decisions right now. Not being from Houston, I do not know the level of enthusiasm for the Cougars, but if they don't have the high dollar alumni to help them out, they could have severe problems. One of the things that the Ponies have are big money alumni who have a history of shelling out the bucks when necessary.

Hey, as SMU fans, we can always look at it this way--there may be an opening in Conference USA pretty soon.
Lawgrad
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:41 pm

What mid-major isn't in this same predicament? In their quest to join the ranks of the BCS programs that left them in the dust, too many mid-majors are over spending only to find they can't change their true colors.

Bottom line in all of this is that the NCAA needs to redefine their levels of competition. They've almost done that with the formation of the BCS.

I remain hopeful that sometime in my lifetime I will see SMU playing alongside Houston, TCU, Rice, Baylor, UNT and other REGIONAL schools with similar budgets. I continue to believe it would be very competitive and therefore very entertaining and that attendance would be as strong as it is today, or better simply because there will be alumni of the member schools in virtually every location games are played...not to mention road games within driving distance.

Cutting down on travel and reducing the number of sports member schools would be required to participate in would go a long ways towards solving some of these budget issues.
Charleston Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:04 pm

...as well as attendance issues.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PX » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:23 pm

Lawgrad,

Unless I am mistaken, the 500 million you are referring to all came from the Capitol Campaign, which means that its paying for all the new buildings going up around campus. To my knowledge, none of that went to the endowment, and in any event the endowment has no bearing on the athletic departments budget. Go back and read the wording of "The Commitment" carefully, the school pledged to keeping covering the athletic departments deficits at the current levels for 5 years, 4 more from today. There was no mention of increasing that amount, and no mention of continuing it longer than 5 years.
If you think our athletic department has been fiscally responsible, thats your business. I dont agree. And beyond the building of Ford Stadium, I dont see these big dollar alums coming through when they're needed. If they were we wouldnt be talking about budget deficits every year. Tell me where the money to renovate Moody is coming from, then I'll believe you.

[This message has been edited by PX (edited 03-05-2003).]
PX
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:29 pm

Say what you will, it's still called "Cougar High" around these parts! Attendance levels at UH games are sad. Same with Rice. And the local media (television, radio and print) give very little coverage to UH or Rice. And don't even get me started on how they snub Texas Southern University or Prairie View A&M or Sam Houston State (yeah, I know...Div.1-AA. It's still my alma mater! Image ). It's similar to the Dallas Morning News and other media outlets in Dallas. The big $$$ alumni of UT and A&M call the shots in this media market and others around the state.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Nacho » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:16 pm

The owner of the SD Padres is a UofH alum. He has poured millions into the Houston program. One guy can't do it all. Also C-USA is not the end-all, be-all to our problems as the difficulties at Houston have illustrated.

Regarding SMU sports, go to games and join the Mustang Club. As a fan that's all you can do.
Nacho

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:23 am

Apparently the Houston AD hasn’t gotten the word out yet about the urgency of supporting UH athletics.

The Cougars are current playing Memphis on ESPN2 in front of a very empty mausoleum.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Football