PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DID JIM HACKSAW DUGGAN GO TO SMU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DID JIM HACKSAW DUGGAN GO TO SMU?

Postby rogershealy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:33 pm

Dear God, if this is true I am going to have a smile on my face for the rest of the year. He was without a doubt my childhood hero, right next to Charles Barkley and GI Joe. I read on one of the posts that he went to SMU, if this is true please confirm it. Seriously, why has SMU not publicized this more? He is the greatest wrestler of all time.
rogershealy
Varsity

Re: DID JIM HACKSAW DUGGAN GO TO SMU?

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:54 pm

Maybe we should have him do a recruiting video if he has that big an effect on folks.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby rogershealy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 pm

to answer my own question, yes. go to this link to be amazed by the greatest wrestler ever and my new favorite SMU alum, next to my mom.http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/football/greats/players/
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby PX » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rogershealy:
<B>to answer my own question, yes. go to this link to be amazed by the greatest wrestler ever and my new favorite SMU alum, next to my mom.http://www.mustangmaniacs.com/football/greats/players/</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Hacksaw went to school at SMU, and every once in awhile he pops back up here. Usually comes to at least one football game a year and the Lettermans barbecue before the first game. Didnt see him this past year, though. In his earlier wrestling days, Hacksaw played up the SMU connection more. He and Steve "Dr. Death" Williams once had a match where they both were allowed to wear their football helmets in the ring (Williams played at OU.) Somewhere I have a videotape of Andre the Giant wearing an SMU t-shirt to the ring for a match, because Duggan was his partner.
Here's another SMU alum/wrestler that you probably would never have guessed: Fritz Von Erich. Real name was Jack Adkisson, left school early because he got married, dont think he ever graduated. Played here in the 50's.
PX
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:31 pm

The last Hacksaw sighting was at the Hawaii football game in 1999.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, who won his match with "Dr. Death?"
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby PX » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KnuckleStang:
<B>Just out of curiosity, who won his match with "Dr. Death?"</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect, Hacksaw was at the Lettermans barbecue the night before the opening of Ford Stadium, 9/1/200, and stayed for the game the next day. Hard to forget him, he was very much the crowd pleaser at the barbecue, probably signed more autographs than any of our NFL alums. If memory serves, he was also at a game in 2001, but I dont offhand remember which one.
I believe Duggan won the Helmet Match with Steve Williams (this is not the same Steve Williams who is now known as Stone Cold Steve Austin, who played football at UNT). Duggan was the "good guy" in those days, and Williams was the Heel. This was back in the heyday of Mid-South Wrestling at the Sportatorium, downtown. Those were the days.
PX
Varsity

Postby rogershealy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:01 pm

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ADDRESS I COULD REACH THE HACKSAW AT? I WOULD LOVE TO DO A STORY ON HIM FOR THE NEWSPAPER.IF YOU HAVE IT, EMAIL ME AT RogersBHealy@yahoo.com
thanks
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby Grider » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:17 pm

I remember the Helmet Match. I was a huge wrestling fan then. I think they called it the "Red-River Shootout" (not to be confused with the Texas-OU Game). That's hilarious, I didn't think anyone else remembered that!

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited 03-06-2003).]
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby rogershealy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:08 am

I really just wanna keep this topic at the top of the board. Cool
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby rogershealy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:02 am

hacksaw is the best
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:36 am

Rogers-

You're a strange bird...

By the way, you are no longer the coolest student I know. You've been recently edged out by Ben "Shooter" McCaslin. I just thought you'd like to know that. But you're a close second so don't worry.

Postby ponyte » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:11 pm

Duggan has a great sense of humor. He came around SMU all the time. Even when he was a big wrestlin' star.

Duggan played tackle and on occasion a little defensive line and once a fullback. He was very intense when he played but a real class clown type when not playing. Duggan is one of my favorite personalities.
ponyte

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:35 am

Hacksaw wowed the crowd in my section of Ford Stadium at the very first game there. He was SWAMPED by young Mustang fans! Since I'm not a wrestling fan, I didn't know who the hell he was. I was later informed.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 03-12-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Return to Football