PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

steal of the recruiting season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

steal of the recruiting season

Postby joey bag of donuts » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:48 pm

steal of the recruiting season, joey sturdivant. this guy is a great athlete from a class program. remember joey bag of d's when sturdivant is making plays....
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Re: steal of the recruiting season

Postby HorsePower » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:38 pm

Will he need to bulk up for a year, or could he play right away?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PX » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:13 pm

You're a little behind the curve, jo. everyone already knows Sturdivant is good. Go back and read some of the posts on the recruiting before from before he signed.
PX
Varsity

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:19 pm

And read his bio in the Recruiting Roundup! He sounds almost too good to be true.

Postby joey bag of donuts » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Horseplay:
<B>And read his bio in the Recruiting Roundup! He sounds almost too good to be true.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think roundup is hyping him up a bit. He is a great athlete, but that high school, Parkview, has a few other better athletes. Hopefully Sturdivant can open a pathway to SMU.

as an aside, his older sister is pretty hot.
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Postby Corso » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:31 pm

Not so fast, my friend!

I'd think a Lilburn-to-SMU pipeline is a little unlikely. Although with the success they've had, they undoubtedly have a bunch of D-I players on their roster.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby joey bag of donuts » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Not so fast, my friend!

I'd think a Lilburn-to-SMU pipeline is a little unlikely. Although with the success they've had, they undoubtedly have a bunch of D-I players on their roster.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are some d-1 players, and getting them out of the clutches of UGA is tough. however, there is a small lilburn to smu pipeline. i know of at least 3 others in the last 10 years that went from Parkview(Lilburn) to SMU, although those three were not athletes at SMU. Parkview is also a good academic school(for a public school), in a relatively affluent suburb of atlanta. a lot of the kids there are smu type kids, who can play ball and read a book. Corso, i think your asessment is correct, but i am gonna be an optimist/dreamer on this one. hopefully, sturdivant is the type of leader who can create the pipeline....
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Postby giacfsp » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:58 pm

Everything I've heard and read about Sturdivant suggest that he is exactly that, the kind of player his teammates want to be around. Maybe he can bring a few hosses to Dallas.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby boulevard bum » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joey bag of donuts:
<B> I think roundup is hyping him up a bit. He is a great athlete, but that high school, Parkview, has a few other better athletes. Hopefully Sturdivant can open a pathway to SMU.

as an aside, his older sister is pretty hot.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was the team captain at Parkview. The Parkview coach also seemed to think he was the best player on that team. There's no way to overhype him. He was the best player on the 2nd best high school team in the nation.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby joey bag of donuts » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boulevard bum:
<B> He was the team captain at Parkview. The Parkview coach also seemed to think he was the best player on that team. There's no way to overhype him. He was the best player on the 2nd best high school team in the nation. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he was one of the best players but not the best. i happen to know a few folks at Parkview...
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Postby jc500 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:07 pm

Gents,

I was back home in Lilburn over Thanksgiving break this past year. I saw my alma mater, Parkview High School, compete in the first round of the Georgia High School state playoffs.

I honestly cannot remember who they played, but there is a reason for that - Parkview absolutely DECIMATED their opponent, scoring touchdowns on their first SEVEN possessions in the FIRST HALF alone. 49 - 0. I left at halftime.

Sturdivant was a DOMINATING FORCE in that victory. While I don't really keep up with Parkview sports, I was informed by friends, family members and neighbors that the guy is the REAL DEAL.

However, I don't think he was the best player on the team. I wish I could remember the guy's name, but there was a smaller, incredibly shifty running back who sprang loose for touchdowns the first two times he touched the ball, and three out of the first four times he touched. He is a junior. This is the guy that SMU needs to pursue next year THROUGH ALL POSSIBLE MEANS.

As far as a Parkview to SMU pipeline is concerned - I think that SMU MIGHT BE taking some steps to establish one. (An effort I have to commend.)

My evidence is scant, but it might speak volumes. If you look at the football team's recruiting class, there is a quarterback from Parkview listed, Chris Philips. CP was not the starting QB for Parkview this year. (Matt Wade was the starter.) SMU is accepting a high-school backup.

If CP is a scholarship player, I have to commend the Pony's efforts to take proactive steps to establish the Parkview pipeline. By establishing some good will with the Parkview program, SMU does itself a great service.

This is the kind of foresight that MUST be commended and institutionalized in all other areas of Mustang athletics - namely the Hoops program.

While it is more difficult to utilize companion scholarships in the hoops program because of scarcity of numbers, this idea MUST, if it has not already been considered, be given the HIGHEST PRIORITY in further discussions regarding recruiting strategy.

Finally, I would like to reccomend that those loyal to the Football message board check out the Basketball board every once in a while, and especially in the months AFTER the NCAA tournament. For it is after the tourney that I will publish The Report, the document that will serve as the catalyst to return the SMU Men's Hoops program back to glory. The Report currently exceeds ten type-written pages (single spaced) and contains some of the most innovative thinking ever applied to the business of college athletics. It is the duty of any true Pony fan to study, internalize and effectuate both the findings and reccomendations of The Report.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Postby PX » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc500:
<B>Gents,

My evidence is scant, but it might speak volumes. If you look at the football team's recruiting class, there is a quarterback from Parkview listed, Chris Philips. CP was not the starting QB for Parkview this year. (Matt Wade was the starter.) SMU is accepting a high-school backup.

I'm out</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your evidence is more scant than you realize. Chris Phillips is from Dallas Bishop Lynch. We didnt sign anyones backup QB.
PX
Varsity

Postby joey bag of donuts » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 pm

jc500- go to the recruiting roundup section of this web site for details on recruits. from there, you will be able to see that sturdivant, unlike his sis, is a little over-hyped. he is a great player, but he sounds like a jeff franceour based on the description. PX, good catch and stay on jc500's butt. You the man now dawg!!!
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Postby jc500 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:22 pm

Gents,

I was getting my info from espn.com's SMU page.

Must have been a misprint.

However, the validity of the companion scholarship cannot be dismissed. It MUST be considered by anyone who claims to be a true Pony fan.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:06 pm

no comment...im laughing though.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football