PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring ball

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring ball

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:36 pm

The hoops teams each made a good show of it up in Tulsa. Now it's time to get to the task at hand: spring ball. So, without further ado, what we need to see is:

1. Bartel firmly entrenched as the QB, and playing well enough that Coach Bennett can comfortably redshirt Phillips and Meeks, or at least have them in a role in which they play only if something happens to Bartel. Having them ready to play, but never getting on the field, would be the best tutoring situation possible for the youngsters.

2. Secondary concerns: Jonas Rutledge owns one cornerback spot, and Rolando Humphrey has the upper hand at the other. But Coach Bennett likes to have multiple corners ready to go, and we need to establish CBs #3 and #4. Is Ruben Moodley the answer as a #3 cornerback? Nobody knows yet, and he doesn't have a lot of time to make the adjustment. Likewise, the safety spots are a concern: Rico Harris and Alvin Nnabuife and Jamey Harper, I guess, are the top 3. Who starts where? And where's the depth if one gets hurt?

3. Solidify the tight end situation: Is Trent Hrncir the starter and the top guy in all situations? Is Ryan Kennedy the top receiving tight end? How will Tate Wallis adjust (even though he's played the position before)?

4. On the defensive line, who lines up inside next to Allan Adami? Adami is a brawler who plays bigger than he is, and he's quick for a DT. But he needs to have someone next to him who he can develop a rhythm and a comfort level with. Marcus Walker? Brent Karrington? Darrin Johnson? Randy Denman? Whoever it is needs to step in during the spring and make the position his. Of course they will rotate fresh legs in and out of there, but there needs to be a firmly established partner for Adami who can develop a chemistry, so they can know each other's moves and strengths and weaknesses.

5. Linebacker: Does Brian Bischoff move inside to replace Vic Viloria, or does D.D. Lee get a shot as the fulltime starter?
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Re: Spring ball

Postby Big Easy Pony » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:40 pm

The recruiting roundup made it sound like we have some DBs coming in who have unbelievable speed. Given Bennett's affinity for fast DBs, wouldn't they be among the newcomers who might have a chance to play right away?
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:36 am

Most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't ever see the likes of Alvin and Ruben on the field again... Everyone knows Bennett is not a fan of slow players, and they proved just how slow they were last season. I'm doubtful about Rico too.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:55 am

I disagree. Nnabuife missed a lot of the season because of that weird pectoral/shoulder infection, and when he returned, he worked hard but had a lot of weight to re-gain and his strength and speed weren't the same. And Rico Harris has the size and speed to be a very good safety. Now he just needs to put it together on the field. But I bet we see a lot of both of them.

I agree with DDM that cornerback is one position where a true freshman could play, if needed (see Ro Humphrey last year). At the RB, WR and DB positions, speed and natural athleticism can carry a player while he learns, moreso than a lineman's spot, where strength and physical maturity are more important.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:47 pm

Brian Bischoff should stay outside. He's become q very good OLB, and there's no reason to move him for his senior season. Besides, from the games I've seen, D.D. Lee is built much better for the physical punishment inside.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Corso » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:11 pm

Not so fast, my friends!

For me, one of the top priorities is getting all the kinks worked out of Chris McMurtray's kicking motion and getting his confidence set where it needs to be. A confident kicker is much better than a nervous one, even if the nervous kicker has a stronger leg. 90% of kicking is mental.

And McMurtray has the leg strength. If he can develop a rhythm and a higher level of confidence, he could have a breakout year. Sure could have used that last year.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:54 pm

Sure, Boof missed half the season, but he was always slow. He's not getting any faster. Give me a break, PT. I think Rico definitely has the size/speed, but he makes very poor game decisions...he blew a lot of plays last season. Hopefully, Bennett has been working on this with him, but if he still doesn't perform, he'll be replaced with a freshman. Ruben simply lacks talent and polish.

Where is D.D. Johnson going to be playing next year? Bischoff is a monster!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby fbdad » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>Sure, Boof missed half the season, but he was always slow. He's not getting any faster. Give me a break, PT. I think Rico definitely has the size/speed, but he makes very poor game decisions...he blew a lot of plays last season. Hopefully, Bennett has been working on this with him, but if he still doesn't perform, he'll be replaced with a freshman. Ruben simply lacks talent and polish.

Where is D.D. Johnson going to be playing next year? Bischoff is a monster! </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where do you get your info? "Boof" as you refer to him missed all but two games due to his shoulder infection, not half season. Who told you he was slow and Rico fast? Why don't you check on the results of the speed,weight and agility testing completed just before Spring break to see who can do what. You might be surprised. Hint, Rico is not at the head of any list....Reason he "..blew a lot of plays.." was he is sooo slow...Who's your freshman candidate to replace him? Our luck with freshmen in the defensive backfield last year was pathetic. I DON'T agree that just being a great athelete qualifies one to start at any position in Div I football.
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:11 pm

every single All WAC or All SWC DB, NFL Pro or decent DB that we've had around here in the last 15 years got burned like toast when they played as freshman. Brabham, Marcello Simmons, Garrett, Rutledge, Artmore, Butler, Cornell Parker, Donald Mitchell. If you are counting on freshman to make you better in the secondary-count instead on a couple of extra losses.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:57 pm

I'm looking forward to spring practice, when the coaches can answer a lot of these questions for us. Can't wait for some FOOTBALL!
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Football