PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Depth Chart

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Depth Chart

Postby Mickey » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:50 pm

Noticeable are:

Leroy Price is not on roster.

Darrin Johnson is OT/DT and his # has changed from 84 to 58. No more TE. My bet is that he ends up at OT and Burley will move to DT when he reports.

Luke Pappas has moved to FB.

Brent Karrington is not on depth chart. Believe he has injured shoulder.

Only 4 interior DL on roster with Bean and Karrington out.

Godfrey is back up SS.

Nnabuife has moved to FS.

Gilmore is at CB.

TJ James is not on depth chart.

Ashton Nixon and Tate Wallis are back up QBs.
Mickey
All-American

Re: Depth Chart

Postby hpfan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:29 pm

With Bean hurt and Karrington in the yellow jersey there are only four DT's in spring ball. Bean will be back by summer and Karrington had his successful surgery in Dec. and is way ahead of schedule in recovery but will not have contact until just after spring ball.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby hpfan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:30 pm

With Bean hurt and Karrington in the yellow jersey there are only four DT's in spring ball. Bean will be back by summer and Karrington had his successful surgery in Dec. and is way ahead of schedule in recovery but will not have contact until just after spring ball.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:41 pm

TJ James ins't on the depth chart, but is still on the roster as a SS.

Johnson is a 3rd team tackle, and with the lack of depth and injuries, I would guess he will see more time at DT. This spring is probably his opportunity to show what he can do on each side of the ball, and he will be sent in one direction or another afterwards. With Bean, Karrington, and Walker all not 100%, I think he stays at DT.

Moving Nnabuife to FS paves the way for Sturdivant to contribute immediately as a Frosh.

Moving Nixon to QB probably means that Harper's days of dreaming about running the goal line offense are probably over Image.

At OLB, JJ is officially competing with Bichoff for a spot. This means that DD Johnson will compete with one of the frosh for the other outside spot.

AT MLB, Carringotn put on a ton of weight... something to watch...

Anyone notice how small we are at Center?

The tackle spot, especially left tackle, looks like a weak spot. Depth is shaky at tackle.

The guard positions look pretty solid. Urbanus is well over 300 now! Put on a lot of weight in the offseason!

I don't think we are going to see a lot of two back sets. Not much depth at fullback. Massey will probably be asked to contribute here as a frosh.

Kennedy could be a monster. He put on a lot of weight and is a great size right now for a tight end.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HorsePower » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:25 pm

TJ James isn't on the depth chart? Is the depth chart a two-deep only? Maybe he's third-string?
Just guessing. Haven't looked at the chart yet.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby HorsePower » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:28 pm

Wait - there's more:

I don't know that Bennett is in favor of a true freshman — even one with Sturdivant's pedigree — doing too much. I bet there are others who would play ahead of him. (Travis Hunt? Move around the DBs a little?

I really like Mickey's Darrin Johnson/Kennard Burley flip-flop. Burley's thicker, and I still think Darrin Johnson might be a star at OT. Not that he couldn't excel at DT, too....

Nixon's back at QB? Are we that thin? Are we that eager to redshirt the freshmen? Or was the wide receiver experiment that unsuccessful?

JasonB says D.D. Johnson will compete with freshmen for an OLB spot. Is that redshirt freshmen? Like Cole Horton and Jamar Bey? Or are you talking the true freshmen coming in (Avery Cleveland, Cory Muse, Zach Hall, etc.)?

Just how big is Reggie Carrington now?

Yes, left tackle is scary. I bet we see a ton of plays with the tight end lined up over there until a left tackle can claim the position and start to dominate, or at least hold his own. Didn't someone report here that Urbanus was going to be tried at left tackle? What happened to that?

From the impression I got from Coach Bennett on signing day, I don't see Massey being asked to play fullback. Bennett seemed convinced he can be a star-caliber tailback, and seemed eager to put the ball in his hands. If he can't crack the rotation this year, I would bet he redshirts.

How big is Ryan Kennedy? He wasn't small (6-5, 240) when he arrived. How much heavier is he now?

Can you tell I haven't seen the depth chart yet?

[This message has been edited by HorsePower (edited 03-20-2003).]
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:07 pm

About Sturdivant, I think the move of Nnabuife to FS opens up a chance for him to compete with Rico Harris. The other safteys at SS are not that strong, or too small. So I think he will compete immediately and push Rico as the season wears on.

The DMN today seemed to indicate that Bennett is looking at pushing Johnson over to OT full time. That surprises me, and to me is an indication that Desmond Jones or Bonds will be in the rotation at DT immediately.

Nixon didn't like working at Receiver, and I guess the coaches felt like they could move Hodges. Nixon will compete against Wallis as the mobile backup to Bennett. I firmly believe that one of the frosh will be redshirted, and the other will be firmly entrenched as the second string QB by the end of the season.

D.D. Johnson probably has a spot locked up, but the switch of James over to the strong side indicates that Horton and either Cleveland or Muse will get a chance to compete there. Bey is being groomed as the strong side backer and won't see much time this year. My guess is that Cleveland will see some time on special teams and as the backup WILL backer this year, and Muse will be given an opportunity to redshirt while we decide if he is a LB or a TE. It will also add an extra year between him and Bey, assuming that he is playing as well as has been indicated.

Hall will most likely redshirt as well. Carrington I have as being up to 6-1, 240. Supposedly he has been doing well, and the coaches will probably want to put a year between him and hall. Also, I think hall played on the outside a lot in HS, and will need some time to develop in the middle.

As for Massey, I think he will be a great tailback, but with his strenght, he could immediately alleviate our lack of depth at the fullback position. It looks like a FB will NOT be an integral part of the offense, as we will use a lot of 3 and 4 receiver sets. But Derron has been injury prone and we need some sort of backup for when we do go into that formation.

Kennedy is up to 2-5, 261, which is great for a tight end.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:40 pm

2'5" ? Whew...I bet he can catch those dirt balls fairly well... kinda fat for his size though...he could stand to lose a couple hundred pounds to allow for some mobility. *grins*
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby 50's PONY » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:45 pm

JasonB -- Matt Young will back up Deron Johnson and will get a lot of playing time. He is very good!
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby bean95 » Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:53 pm

It is sad for me too say that Leroy will not be returning to the team for failing to comply with team rules. I am not in the position to say why but know he is very dissapointed.

------------------
bbean
bbean
bean95

Return to Football