PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PLANS IN THE WORKS TO HONOR FRY & LEVIAS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PLANS IN THE WORKS TO HONOR FRY & LEVIAS

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:25 pm

There have been some questions posted lately about SMU honoring Hayden Fry and Jerry Levias who will both be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame this year. I sent an email directly to Woody Norris, senior assoc. AD for SMU. He replied with the following:

Good morning,
We are in the process of planning the complete season including honoring not only these two but possibly several others. Honoring these two have been on the drawing board for several weeks now and details are being worked out as we speak. Availability of the people we'd like to honor is the largest issue. We are working on it! We may also have a few surprises up our sleeves!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and/or concerns.

Woody Norris
Senior Associate AD

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PLANS IN THE WORKS TO HONOR FRY & LEVIAS

Postby PK » Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:44 pm

That's very good to hear! I was a student at SMU when Hayden Fry was the HC and Jerry Levias was playing. I always liked Fry and think it was very shortsighted that someone made the decision to fire him (bet that person won't step forward to lay claim to that fame). Levias was obviously a hell of a good football player, but he has also shown that he is a person worthy of our honor as being a person who represents all of us with class and dignity as an Alumnus of SMU.

I'm glad that we are finally making the effort to recognize the people who have over the years worked to build and maintain our athletic's traditions.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PLANS IN THE WORKS TO HONOR FRY & LEVIAS

Postby MustangFan » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:01 pm

That's terrific - they both deserve every accolade they get.

Coach Bennett has said he wants to emulate some other schools by bringing back some of the greats from the past, and having them visit with current players, and be visible parts of the school community and made to feel like SMU still is THEIR school. Jerry LeVias should be at the top of the list. He was a sensational player, a pioneer in athletics in this part of the country and by all accounts is a really great guy to be around. I'd like to see him making regular visits to the Hilltop.

Retire his number.
Have him handle ceremonial coin tosses.
Name an award for the team's top receiver after him.
SOMETHING!

He was too great to ignore.
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Football